Text Messages

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bid2ask77, Apr 29, 2011.

1. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

Is there a way to stop text messages from poping up on your phone With Out Jail Breaking it. I know Bitesms has that option and i was woundering if it could be done on the native messageing app.

2. trlightning macrumors newbie

trlightning

Go to Settings>Messages. Turn Show Preview to Off.

3. SharepointGuy macrumors member

SharepointGuy

This will only disable the content of the text from appearing in the notification, it will still show the notification with who sent the text and the word text. The above method is probably the closest you will be able to get to disabling notifications without jailbreaking.

4. bid2ask77 thread starter macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I tried that but it still pop up on the phone and says i have a text from someone it just does not show the body of the text i dont want it popping up at all. I myself use BiteSMS and i just dont under stand why they just cant make the native messageing app like that there Hide feature is great it just puts a number on the app icon. Thank you guys for your help in this..

5. trlightning macrumors newbie

trlightning

My bad. Thanks for setting me straight.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My only guess is to get something like 'Textie' which will give you an alternate phone number that people can send texts to.

Educate ALL your friends to text you at that new number but still make phone calls to your old number. *

Then you can turn notifications off for Textie.

* I think this is probably impossible, yeah? But it's my only idea.

7. collisos macrumors member

I don't think that there is a way to do so without jailbreaking. I know there is a lot of discussion about hopefully a new notification system in iOS 5 because a lot of people don't like the invasive nature of the notifications now. I personally have jailbroken my phone and implemented a notification system that doesn't pop up but puts an icon in my status bar.

8. sotorious macrumors 6502a

i hope in ios5 they allow you to change every little bit. Starting with allowing you a different notification sound.

9. msb3079 macrumors 6502a

msb3079

Why would you want to? Do you have something to hide?

If I'm texting someone... I usually want a response in a reasonable amount of time. If you're not notified, seems to ruin the whole point of it.