Text messaging on 3GS uses data?!?!?!

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by pyroo, Oct 6, 2009.

1. pyroo macrumors member

Hi, i just got an iphone 3GS without a data plan, and when i go and text someone, a message pops up "Could not activate cellular network, You are not subscribed to a cellular service"...i would understand if this message pops up when im using safari, mail, or anything that required the internet, but text messaging??? btw, i can still receive and send text messages normally and mms is disabled, its just that these pops up interrupt what im typing, its so irritating since im pretty sure you dont need the internet to send texts....

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I'm in the same situation as you and the only time I get these popups is usually right after I unlock my phone. So if you're unlocking to reply to a text it's going to pop up when you're in your SMS app.

But no, SMS does not require data. I've got a WIX block on my line and they still go through.

3. pyroo thread starter macrumors member

are there anyone else here who has the same problem? i called my carrier and they said that it shouldnt happen and they also dont know why its doing this.....