Text Messaging/Typing on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kukheart, Jun 13, 2008.

1. kukheart macrumors regular

kukheart

For all of you iPhone users,I was wondering how easy it was to send texts, as far as typing everything out,i am 99% sure that i will buy the new iphone, i don't have one now, but my cell phone contract runs out at the end of the month, and the only small thing that concerns me a little bit is all of the typing especially for texts which i do a lot, thanks for the help. july 11 can't come fast enough.

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I find that although it takes some getting used to, within a couple days, you'll find typing a breeze. And you'll learn to love the vertical keyboard.

3. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Quicker and easier than any phone on the market.

4. bazookafx3 macrumors regular

The texting on the Iphone is great, ive owned mine for a week and i can type almost perfectly with no errors, its a step up from any phone.

5. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

I'm glad to hear this. I will be getting my first iPhone on July 11 and can't wait !

6. EMILinator macrumors member

The Biggest Little City In The World, USA

do you use the T9 predictive text?
    if you do, then you will notice you will text slower on the iPhone keyboard. if you DON'T use T9, then i assume you can possibly text about the same or a little faster with the iPhone keyboard. T9 is the fastest way to text.

7. theLastBeatle macrumors member

are you kidding? im a 39 year old male 6' tall, meaning my fingers are larger than most. i showed someone how fast i can type on the iphone the other day and as i was typing i heard them say "Wow!". it took me about two weeks of semi frustration, then i learned to "just let go" and type away. SMS is my favorite way of communication. and im fast at it. Steve Jobs pointed out a good point when he said "one of the benefits of not having plasted keys to get in the way" (sorta something like that) and he's right. it clears the screen for other tasks when your not texting. its great, for me.

8. timmypv15 macrumors regular

What makes you say that? I used T9 on my SLVR and was used to the iPhone in one or two days.

9. skwoytek macrumors 6502a

T9 is slow compared to the iPhone keyboard - by a large degree.

You do realize iPhone has predictive text.

10. pedroistheman macrumors 6502

pedroistheman

haha, I just sold my iphone and I'm rolling with a razor for the next month... trust me, the iPhone typing is SOOOO much easier. Since I've been using the razr I have almost given up texting...its just takes way too much effort after using the iphone for a year.

11. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

EFFORTLESS. Thats what I think of iPhone keyboard. Using any other mobile keyboard seems like waste of energy now. Why push any keys when just a simple touch is enough. Though I`d like one little change. It`d be really great if you could use the wider "horizontal" keyboard in all the apps including SMS,EMAIL,Notes etc.

12. 7on macrumors 601

7on

And I text on the iPhone one handed, not too difficult.

13. meagain macrumors 68030

It's one of the best things about the iPhone.

14. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

I have to agree...the iPhone keyboard is much better. My only experience with it is actually on the iPod Touch...as I helped my dad's girlfriend get her's on her Wifi network. I was commenting today how difficult it is to type on a regular phone and my dad commented that he found it easier to type on his iphone than on his blackberry...which he has for work.

iPhone does have predictive text you can use...so I doubt T9 will have much of an impact on the difference. It's just a pain in the ass to hit the smaller keys on most phones. That's apparent with my dad and his blackberry...small keys are a pain to type with. The iPhone improves the size of the keys and has an easier to understand keyboard layout.

15. toroxo macrumors newbie

I've found that it's a lot easier than I thought it would be-- except when I try to type left handed. Your fingers don't hit the keys properly and it always comes up with the wrong letters. It just doesn't appear to be designed for lefties.:confused:

16. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I activated my iPhone a few minutes ago ---truly a first time user, and I thought that it was hyperbole when people raved about the ease of sending texts and typing on this phone until I tried it: it was a breeze!

You should have no problems at all using this feature, and you're going to love the iPhone. I wish I had bought one earlier:)

Jude

17. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Update. i just used a Nokia N72 to type a long SMS(didnt have any other option but to use the N72:( ). It was such a big pain in the ***. Now I have used nokia and other phones with T9, but in the last six months this was my first experience with anything other than iPhone. I`ve got so used to the iphone I couldnt type on the Nokia. An hour later I was back with my iPhone and I assure you I couldnt be happier. Text input on the iPhone has got to be one of its very BEST features. Not a compromise as some like to think.

18. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

I find it hard to be easier. I will be leaving a BB Pearl for the 3G iPhone. I go to the Apple store all the time and play with the current iPhone and I can not type for crap on that thing...It's like I have fat fingers on a keyboard...peck peck peck mistypes!

19. Offspring992 macrumors member

One of the things I love most about it is that it doesn't have that 160 character limit that every other phone seems to have.

20. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

It supports long sms messages. They still get broken up into 160 character chunks, and you still get charged accordingly. You just don't have to do it manually.

21. littlewaywelt macrumors regular

anyone switch from a palm treo who would care to comment on ease of use of keyboard on iPhone?

22. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

The only difference that sucks is having to look at the keyboard. Otherwise the iPhone is better.

23. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

for you who said t9 is faster, its not. iPhone is way faster. I was bowling yesterday and (after i got "is that an iPhone") repeated times, i was texting and this girl sitting next to me simply said "holy s**t". its really fast.

btw i still find it funny when people ask, is that an iphone since its been out for almost a year

24. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Fixed that for you.

I still prefer the Treo's keyboard. The iPhone is better all around, and when I'm not typing I am glad for iPhone's big screen, but a physical keyboard is much better, at least for me.

25. dombookpro macrumors member

I've had my iPhone since its release in the uk. The predictive text and error correction is excellent. I can type mega fast on it. Probably between 40-50 wpm (I type at 60 wpm on a usual keyboard). There are some things that niggle me:

When you irretrievably mess up a word half way by typing a letter that is totally wrong, when you delete the letter and put the proper letter in, it sometimes cancels the error correction. It will give up on trying to error correct for you. This can be very annoying at times.

Whenever I try and type "uk", like just then, it will ALWAYS correct it to "I'm". This can also become tiresome.

When you're typing a proper noun or a name, and you capitalise the first letter, it will cancel the error correction. I think this is because it assumes it will not be able to predict a name's spelling. But sometimes the word is simply a place name or just a proper noun.

There are also definitely some improvements that could be made with the keyboard. But overall I think it is excellent. I typed this reply on it, and hopefully haven't made too many mistakes. :)