Text Messaging vs Android

Blown01NJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Hello all.

Currently I use my iPhone 4s for personal use and I have a Droid X that I use for business. I am thinking about ditching the X and going to iPhone for both, but I have one issue.

I have many employees that I schedule through text message. Typically I'll send a mass text to 10 of them at a time and say "Are you available Friday at 3pm"

When they respond on the droid, I get a response, plus my original message. Their response and any subsequent responses from me go to them ONLY. For example if I sent "Work tomorrow at 3pm" to 10 people it would look like this:

Me: "Work tomorrow at 3pm"
Response person A: "Work tomorrow at 3pm"
"Ok I'll be there"

With the iPhone it will look like this:

Me: "Work tomorrow at 3pm"
Response person A: "Ok Ill be there"

So basically, if I send a mass text in the iPhone, the responses wont include my original message, so Ill have no idea what they are confirming to. Is there a way to have the iphone behave like android in this respect?

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
You can turn off group messaging in the settings for Messages, you can send it out to multiple people and rather than everyone else seeing their responses, it creates a new text message 'thread' as people reply (or adds to already existing ones)

miggitymac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 7, 2009
You can turn off group messaging in the settings for Messages, you can send it out to multiple people and rather than everyone else seeing their responses, it creates a new text message 'thread' as people reply (or adds to already existing ones)
Is that a feature new to iOS 5? Can't seem to find that setting on my phone...(iOS 4.3.3).

Blown01NJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
Correct. However, their response shows up as a new message and does not include my original message, which is what I require.

Blown01NJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
When they respond it should show up in your conversation if you turn on group messaging.
I dont want the others in the group to see anything. I just want the original message that I send to be in the conversation when they reply.

Secondly, even with group messaging turned on it doesnt function that way. As far as I can tell turning on group messaging does nothing but make it a MMS (been testing it for a while with 3 phones now)

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
if one of them responds and u respond back it will only go to that person only. Others will only see your original message and any responses that u respond to. I don't think the group texting will keep happening but i'm not 100% sure since i never tried it

Blown01NJ

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2008
if one of them responds and u respond back it will only go to that person only. Others will only see your original message and any responses that u respond to. I don't think the group texting will keep happening but i'm not 100% sure since i never tried it
It doesnt work, but regardless that is not what I am trying to achieve.

All I am trying to do, is have everyone's response to the group message show my original message. Right now, if I just send 10 people a message, when they respond they will be in individual threads (which I want) but the first message in the thread will be their response, not my original message.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.