Text not crisp after applying Mojave

Discussion in 'macOS Mojave (10.14)' started by drewaz, Nov 3, 2018.

1. drewaz, Nov 3, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2018

drewaz macrumors regular

I know others have noticed this on a non retina display but I'm really having trouble dealing with the fuzzy text on a retina iMac.

I tried turning off Dark mode and it didn't seem to make a difference.

Does anyone have a work around?

2. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

Try running this terminal command:
    Code:
    defaults write -g CGFontRenderingFontSmoothingDisabled -bool NO
    You should see a change in text as a result of that command. Be sure to restart before deciding if it improves your fuzzy text.
    If that does not make your text sharper, you can revert that command by running it again, replacing NO with YES.

3. drewaz thread starter macrumors regular

thanks man but I am a total non techie and have never ventured into terminal.

I see now though that there is a check box for "use font smoothing when available" ... should this make any difference? Mine is checked by default.

4. DeltaMac macrumors G3

DeltaMac

You can try turning that font-smoothing setting off.

But, the terminal command directly affects how text is displayed, by changing how the pixels are actually displayed in a font (anti-aliasing), and can make text characters sharper.

There's more details on this page.

5. getrealbro macrumors regular

The freeware application Tinkertool provides lots of system level adjustments without needing to use the terminal.
    Tinkertool1.jpg
    Tinkertool2.jpg

GetRealBro

6. drewaz thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks .... will give it a try

7. Spazturtle macrumors member

You just copy and paste it into the terminal and press enter, it really isn't hard.

8. Morpheo macrumors 65816

Morpheo

No matter what you do, and yes I have run that terminal command that supposedly brings back subpixel AA, and I have played with the various font smoothing settings, here what you get in Logic Pro X preferences window for example:

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 10.59.24 AM.png

In High Sierra (and before) this was never an issue and text was perfectly readable. Not anymore.

Screen Shot 2018-11-08 at 11.21.10 AM.png

...I mean seriously? I like Mojave and I don't want to downgrade, but this is pretty lame. I can't believe no one at Apple noticed that during the last year when Mojave was in development.

9. SoCalReviews, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018

SoCalReviews macrumors 6502

Agreed. This is REALLY lame. Apple should apply a fix for those who use non-retina screens... especially considering this falls under the category of an important "Accessibility" issue that could inhibit Mac owners with vision problems from being able to properly read certain text and therefore limit use of their Macs with Mojave OS installed.

10. drewaz thread starter macrumors regular