All iPads Text on Air vs rMini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ApplePhy, Nov 17, 2013.

1. ApplePhy macrumors 6502

I've been happily using both my Air and rMini this weekend and enjoying both tremendously.

I've noticed that text appears a tad bit sharper on the rMini vs the Air. I know both of these screens being 'retina' implies the pixel density difference cannot be distinguishable by the human eye, but now that I'm using both extensively I can honestly say that I can tell the difference.

The text on the rMini appears as close to print as I've ever seen. The Air is sharp as well, but doesn't appear as sharp as the rMini...

The difference is noticeable on websites like Wikipedia where there is black text on a white background.

I know I'm splitting hairs here but just wanted to see if anyone noticed this difference as well?

2. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

The rMini has a higher ppi, hence will appear sharper.

Loving mine :D

3. LabGuy macrumors member

Either way, the OP is clearly delusional and/or seeing a difference the human eye can't discern.

4. syd430 Guest

Two things determine whether a screen is deemed Retina by Apple. PPI and average viewing distance. You are forgetting about the average viewing distance, which for the Air, should be theoretically further away. Case closed.

5. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Denser pixel = texts appear sharper. It's obvious, isn't it?

But considering the Mini has slightly duller color reproduction, I'd take the Air everyday.

Not to mention reading iBooks, Newsstand and Flipboard feels awesome on Air.
    On Mini it feels cramped and like reading a pamflet.
    Oh and also Air has bigger battery. It's nice to have a little extra boost for its lifetime.

Slightly lower pixel density is a minor trade-off I'm willing to make. The Air still looks retina to me. No less than iPhone display in my experience :)

6. Fattytail macrumors 6502a

Wow at the incredible rudeness of some people. If you don't like the thread, go somewhere else.

Anyway, OP is right. Text is ever so slightly sharper on the mini. BUT, as multiple sites have pointed out, contrast is worse on the mini than the Air. Since both are high resolution displays, the difference in text clarity is negligible to me, but the contrast difference is significant (to me).