text quality after OCR

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Tritons, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Tritons macrumors 6502

Hi
    So I had some jpeg images with text that I need to convert to PDF/ePub so I can read it on iPad. I downloaded Adobe Acrobat and usin OCR get all of the text, but it's not in really good quality. I was wondering how could I make it better quality? I can highlight and copy it, but if I do copy it to let say MS Word it copys in one big block of text without images. Is there a way to make text better quality?

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

the better the original image, the better the ocr.

3. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that. That's why I'am asking if there is a way to make it better quality not loseing formating.

4. palpatine macrumors 68040

i am sorry. i don't understand the question you are asking.

you want to improve the results from ocr? if so, then you need to improve the quality of the original image.

you want to preserve formatting of the original image? probably not possible. in my experience, adobe rarely does a good job of this. i can think of lots of reasons why this is the case, but i don't know the technical details, so it would just be speculation. i consider the ocr to be useful for searches (not 100%, but useful nonetheless), but it cannot replace the original text. you'll still want to read with your original images (incorporated into a pdf file format, of course).

5. Tritons thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh well it isnt that bed but I would like better quality.
    Thank you.

6. palpatine macrumors 68040

you're welcome. i also wish it had better quality, but it is a huge improvement over past ocr programs, so that's a good thing. maybe in a few years things will be where you'd like. good luck!