Text replaced with gibberish

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rjedoaks, Oct 22, 2007.

1. rjedoaks macrumors newbie

I placed an Ebay auction last night. My text was replaced with a bunch of symbols , the text is no longer. So I copy the symbols for the Mac forum to decipher. The pasted copy comes out as text. What is going on? This is in Safari. Viewing the auction through Firefox the add looks normal. Mac related

2. iDave macrumors 6502a

3. rjedoaks thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello, these are symbols, not fonts

No fonts involved. Small solid triangle, small circle,small truck,plus sign, X,arrows,solid circle,bicycle,question mark,forward and reverse arrows, small squares
    Sometimes while waiting for a window to open, these symbols spring up for a second before the window loads.

4. djc6 macrumors 6502

5. iDave macrumors 6502a

What do you mean, no fonts involved? The title of your thread "Text replaced with gibberish" suggests fonts are involved.

I can almost guarantee, if you clear your font caches, the problem you described will be resolved.

6. rjedoaks thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm a little terminology impaired here. I cleared the font cache and don't see any change. This is a screen shot of what I am talking about. Thanks

[​IMG]

7. iDave macrumors 6502a

That is odd! Thanks for the picture.

Have you changed your default fonts in Safari to see if that makes any difference?

8. djc6 macrumors 6502

9. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Download Linotype Font Explorer (it's free) and run all the cache cleaning tools.

That wil fix your problem - it's a not an uncommon one.

10. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

11. rjedoaks thread starter macrumors newbie

I downloaded Font Finagler

Didn't seem to affect the problem. So I started moving through different fonts, and that seems to have done the trick. Interesting. thanks for all the recommendations