Text showing updside down in browsers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zipcode, Mar 10, 2013.

1. zipcode macrumors newbie

Hello, I have a strange problem. In all browsers most web pages show my text upside down. I have tried cleaning caches and restoring fonts to default, but that didn't help. Anyone familiar with this issue?

Thanks

2. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

Can we get a screenshot of this? I'm intrigued.

3. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You're holding it...no, I can't do it..:eek:

:D

4. br3nt macrumors member

.. have you tried a restart? :p

of course after you've taken a screenshot!

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

¿sɹəsʍoɹq ɹnoʎ uı ʇsnɾ ɹo sddɐ ɹəɥʇo uı uəddɐɥ ʇı səop ˙sıɥʇ oʇuı unɹ ɹəʌəu əʌ,ı

:D

6. AnthonyCH, Apr 12, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014

AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

same problem here

I've got the same problem... since I upgraded to Mavericks...

I had a warning message about a software called Flip4mac when I did the upgrading and it said it wasnt' up to date with the new OS version...

Actually I'm not quite sure if this is the source of the problem but I discovered this is a module in Safari (in Safari's preferences > security tab > modules > settings)

Still don't know how to fix it though.

Apple's support sent me instructions to follow to identify the trouble. Will let you know asap about it.

7. AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

Ok, seems like Apple's customer service is not what I expected..

Had a chat with someone on Sunday who told me they would call ..yesterday. Never happened.

So well... is there anybody here to help with this issue??? :confused:

I'm currently using Opera as a browser which is the only one that doesn't display texts upside-down (haven't tried Chrome though).

Would welcome any tips, ideas, suggestions (I'm actually thinking to reboot the whole thing with the drivers etc. but haven't got time to do it now).

Thanks

8. AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

Right, I forgot about that (seems like the author of this post did too)...

Here you are.

It doesn't appear like this on all website though (for example the Apple website is perfectly normal).

Attached Files:

9. DeltaMac, Apr 15, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2014

DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Is the upside-down text only what you enter? or, is it all text on a web page?
    Does it affect ALL web pages, or only some (such as forums like this one?)

Really would be nice to see a screen shot. (I see it!)
    So - what is your text encoding setting, under the View menu?
    Be sure to try Western (ISO Latin 1) and NOT Unicode (UTF-8)

10. AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

Here's another screen shot.

As you can see it's not on all websites, or sometimes just partial (not on all texts from a page).

I was already on ISO Latin 1 since the beginning and then tried to change to other encoding systems but it didn't change a thing.

What I don't understand is why it suddenly changed on both Safari and Mozilla. There must have been something changed in the general settings...

What's even stranger is that I've got the same problem on some documents opened with Preview (pdf documents I haven't written myself).

11. AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

12. mike0000 macrumors newbie

Corrupted Font?

Just guessing.

Possible corrupted Arial font.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I was thinking the same thing.

OP> Open Font Book application from /Applications then select a font and hit command-a to select all. Now go to the File menu and click "validate fonts" and see if that finds any corrupted fonts.

14. AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

Can't find any Font Book app in the Application folder.. : /

I have two folders in MacintoshHD/Library though

one is "Fonts"
    the other is "Fonts disabled"

And another "Fonts" folder (different) in MacintoshHD/System/Library...

By the way my Macbook is running much slower since the upgrade. This Maverick thing has just made my computer worse.. I have a 2.4 Intel Core 2 Duo processor and 4Go of RAM, which should do the job but anyway.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It should be there.

[​IMG]

Open Finder then look in the /Applications folder. This screenshot is from my /Applications folder on Mavericks.

16. AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Hmm... that is odd. Do you think maybe you deleted Font Book app at some point?

If you hit command-space and use Spotlight to search for Font Book does it show up?

18. AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

All riiiight ok my bad, it's called "Livre des polices in French"..
    omg I'm sorry about that. I wonder why they translated it.

Anyway.. so it seems I had some double fonts that were "corrupted" so I deleted them but now I'm being asked my admin code like 30 times to delete these fonts.. -_-

And one font can't be selected. The tick button is greyish-transparent. It's the Palatino (and there's also two with same name, one with the extension, one without).

I'm going to restart after I delete the fonts and come back to tell you if that worked out!

19. AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

OKAY :D

Perfect, it seems to be working. I didn't even have to restart.

Well.. now I still need to find a way to survive to Mavericks because I'm becoming more and more impatient every time I start the computer or launch an app. Soooo sloooow.

I know it's out of topic for this thread but would you recommend to add some RAM memory? Or is there a simple and safe way to clean up my Mac a little?

Thanks for your help guys

Tony

20. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Adding RAM might help, particularly if your system was a little on the low side before upgrading to MavX. You can get a better idea about that by opening your Activity Monitor, then the memory tab. Watch the Memory pressure. If it stays green, and fairly low, then your RAM may not be the issue. If you see yellow, or red and the pressure graphic fills that window, then adding more RAM will likely help.
    Tell us exactly which Mac model you have, and how much RAM is installed now, please...

21. AnthonyCH macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010) and 4 Go of RAM (1067 Mhz DDR3).

The Memory pressure looks ok. It stays green with Safari, iTunes, Mail and Thunderbird and Word all running at the same time .. Actually it looks like it's going well now (hope I'm not talking too fast).

I'm keen on cleaning a little my disk though, there's only 10% of free space left (not sure this has an influence on the performance actually but it's always good to clean a bit isn't it?).

Is there any easy way to clean up temporary files that might take some useless space here and there?