TEXT SLIDES (Powerpoint, Keynote) into video

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by sbb155, Jul 24, 2007.

1. sbb155 macrumors 6502

How do I get text slides into FCE/FCP or Imovie without the jaggies and poor resolution?
    I would be willing to use keynote or PPT.
    When you save PPT as jpegs and import them as a photo, the text looks awful.

Is there any other way to add text?

Also: How can I add drawings into the video, like drawing with a wacom tablet on the video...

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

You cant.

You are taking a photograph of a power point slide, this turns the text into a picture of text, and not text.

The text is being seen as pixels and not vectors, so its not scaling well.

Whenever you need text over video, you almost every time must use the built-in text generator(s) because they are vector and allow for scaling to any and all sizes and shapes without pixelation.

If you want to add animated drawing, like you doodle and a video shows you moving the brush around, that requires LivePaint or something like it, found within After Effects.

Real time animation, is not easy and probably not within the scope of thread answers.

EDIT: never used keynote, seems it does whacha need...see below

3. Gee macrumors 65816

What is it you're trying to make a video of? You can export to quicktime movie from keynote and I think poweroint , so you could do it that way.

4. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

in keynote, choose export > quicktime

there are several options, including self-playing or slideshow, and quality.

not sure if this meets your needs, but is possible

5. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

I've done this for an awards show. The awards show was a keynote presentation, and the moderator and jury were filmed onstage. Later I intercut the video footage with the keynote presentation, and saved it to video. This is much the same that Apple does when they publish the Stevenotes after a big event.

What I've done is saved the keynote as a quicktime file, and intercut it using FCP. Depending on the content type of the keynote, you might want to play around with different codecs. I found that Sorenson 3, and Animation did a better job of rendering text, depending on what the background was (with a plain background animation was crisper, and sorenson was better when the background was a movie file, or still picture. My keynote presentation was 1024X800, and I saved to that resolution as quicktime. I suspect that this gave me more headroom when compressor made the final save to MPEG-2, on it's way to DVDSP.

Was it as crisp as the original presentation? No, it wasn't. But it was certainly readable, and acceptable to anyone used to looking at NTSC video.