Text spacing

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pdjudd, May 28, 2010.

1. pdjudd macrumors 601

I have been having an odd issue with iWeb and just recently Pages where letter spacing is horribly inconsistent making reading (and typing) quite difficult to do. The effect is quite random, but what happens is that all of a sudden, both of these programs will not space letters properly. For example, in the phrase: "hello world" the phrase might display correctly in program, the spacing between random characters in one word (such as e and l in the first phrase) may be scrunched close together or spread out a bit (usually the former).

The only programs that I have seen exhibit this is Pages and iWeb. The odd thing is that the text shows up correctly in other extensions (like when I upload my iWeb page to mobile me), but if I convert my pages document to PDF, the character spacing problems retain.

What's really bizarre is the randomness of this problem and the fact that it (so far as I can tell) is limited to those two programs. Both programs are running their most current versions (09) and It is really causing frustration. Any advice out there?

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Is it always the same font that messes up? Is the font (or are the fonts) messing up sometimes and not others?

3. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

It might be just one font (Airel) since I don't change my fonts much if at all. - I can try it with a different font when I am at my desktop.

4. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

Further testing does show that it might be a bad font (Ariel Regular) since everything else I tried rendered just fine but Ariel is screwed up right back when I switch back. Any way to fix just that one font?

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I don't know if your Font Book application can repair damaged fonts. I see a "validate" selection in mine, but I couldn't tell you what that's really supposed to do. I have a Damaged Fonts folder to isolate troublesome fonts. I only have one so segregated at this point.

6. pdjudd thread starter macrumors 601

Validate doesn't seem to do much... But I did find some duplicates. Didn't fix anything though..