Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pedzsan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 22, 2016
Leander, TX
I have a Mac, iPhone, and iPad. A solution on any of these is welcomed. I put the question here because my preference would be a solution on the Mac.

I can hear fine but I have a speech impediment so phone calls generally don't work for me. I type fairly fast so what I've wanted for a long time is an application where I can type text and carry on phone conversation with me listening to the person speaking on the other end and me typing my replies in and having them converted from text to speech and spoken over the phone to the other person.

I know about the TTY / RTTY abilities but that involves a third party which just complicates the whole mess. I've not successfully used the TTY / RTTY facilities. I've tried once but the other side never answered and so I gave up and haven't tried again. It just felt really awkward. For example, this usually involves credit card stuff which means a lengthy wait before someone comes on to help. I would feel much more uncomfortable if another person was sitting there waisting time waiting.

So, the question is, is there an app on the Mac or iOS that is made for this type of situation? I suppose I could try using text to speech out the Mac's speaker and pick it up via the iPhones microphone but I am hoping for something more solid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.