Text via iPad 2 through iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Snowelevation, Mar 21, 2011.

1. Snowelevation macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I need help with an idea I'm having for using my iPad 2.

I want to use a texting application, but connect to my iPhone 4 and send the SMS natively through my phones service/carrier.

Is there a way, maybe not practical, but code wise or something that I can connect my phone (maybe Bluetooth) to my iPad and send messages?

Pllllleeeaaassseeee help! This would be really cool for everyone. Wouldn't it be sweet to put your phone down and walk around and be able to forward from your iPad?

2. FireSokar macrumors regular

Get yourself google voice, texting is free. I use it on my iPad when I'm to lazy to reach next to me for the phone.

3. shawndre macrumors member

Or try the textfree app. You sign in to whatever device you want to use and all of your text history shows up also.

4. Snowelevation thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!

Thanks for the great responses, both are good alternatives.

Quick question:

Is there a way my texts can be kept in my phone records (as if I had sent them from the phone)?

Also, does google voice allow me to use my current contacts from my phone? And will my contacts know that I'm contacting them via google voice?

The real objective here is to make texting through the iPad as close to the native iPhone app as possible... I want to be able to set my phone down and then as long as my phone is in the vicinity I can text via my iPad through my phones carrier...

Thanks again everyone :D

5. FireSokar macrumors regular

If the iPhone is jailbroken there is an VNC app for it. You can install it then control if from the iPad using a app like RealVNC.

6. Snowelevation thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried and failed

I tried searching fornq VNC application but cant seem to come up with anything. I'm really hoping a VNC solution will let the iPad and iPhone speak well to one another.

7. thep33t macrumors regular

you will need a jail-broken iphone, with veency installed.

Then you can get a VNC viewer for your ipad, and connect via that. Not idea, but workable.