Text Wrangler Installation

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Mr.Texor, Apr 20, 2007.

1. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

I was trying text wrangler and umm, the first time I run it asks me for my admin password. Is this a normal behavior by the app? thanks

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

It's been a while since I tried to install TW - does it say why it wants it? Is it installing a command-line tool? Is it a required step?

3. Mr.Texor thread starter macrumors regular

4. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

If it's the command line tool, it's not a required piece of the software (I don't think), so if you don't want to install it, you don't have to.

It's asking for your admin password, I think, because it wants to put the tool into your /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin (which would be protected from non-admin users).

The command-line tool is completely innocuous (and potentially very helpful), so feel free to put in your admin password. There's nothing out of the ordinary going on there.

5. Mr.Texor thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for your quick response. Usually when I have installed software that installs command line tools, etc. they come with an installer and a uninstaller. Which brings me to the next question. Is there an easy way to uninstall the software if I dont like it?

6. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Typically, with text editors that install command line tools (and I'm thinking of SubEthaEdit here), you can always install the CLT later if you decide you want it.

My advice would be to not install it (if you don't have to install it, that is) and try the app for a while without it. If you decide that you don't like TW, you'll be able to uninstall cleanly.

But, like I said, it's been a while since I installed/uninstalled TW, so I don't remember specifically if you can uninstall the CLT another way...sorry.

7. Mr.Texor thread starter macrumors regular

:)
    It's amazing that I've been using this mac computer for about 2 years and I still don't really know much about installing and uninstalling. Every about 2-3 months I go into an installing spree where I check several apps. Mostly I uninstall all after 10-20 mins.

I've been using vim thru the terminal to edit text files as I'm used to vim (I'm also a linux user).

anyways.. thanks for the fast replies.. :)