Text

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RiotSauce, Jun 23, 2008.

1. RiotSauce macrumors newbie

Ok, so can anyone confirm that the texting plan that comes standard for the 3g iPhone is the lame 200 texts? That seriously is a slap in the face to consumers especially because the iPhone is a texting powerhouse. If thats the case, could you possibly add another 200 texts? Since with the old iPhone wasn't the 200 text considered part of the plan and not an extra? Also-- Someone needs to make a good internet based text message application if that is possible... I know my dad will occasionally shoot me a text via some website...

2. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Currently there is no text plan bundled into the voice plans or the $30 data plan, you have to purchase it separately.

250 texts is $5
    1500 texts is $15 (I believe)
    Unlimited is $20

3. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

AT&T has not yet given any SOLID plan information on the iPhone 3G. The most we can make are educated or well informed assumptions.

4. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

The plans will now be the same as all of AT&T smartphone plans which do NOT include texts. The iPhone is no longer being given special consideration regarding plans.

5. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

There won't be any texts included, but if you are a person who plans on texting, then you probably would have a plan, as most people that I know that text would use more than 200 a month, but then again, that is just what I have seen.

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

LAME free 200 SMS??? That's so cheap and generous.

The 3G iPhone is going to be the same as all the other smart phones with no texting plan inclusion (separate).

Just because Apple designed it so it's really good for texting, doesn't mean that AT&T's gonna make texting cheaper.

That's almost like saying "This old Dell with Geforce 4400 came with two games...now that the Dell XPS with Geforce 8800 Ultra is out, is it going to come with the lame two games or am I going to get five? Cause that would be a slap in the face to some consumers especially because the Dell XPS is a gaming powerhouse" (yes, I know everyone has opinions...I had to choose a computer everyone would recognize)

7. Paul S macrumors regular

Unlimited text is $20/month. That is ridiculous. I hope this will encourage others to resort to email/IM. I'd rather do the G-Talk (if it becomes available), or plain old email anyway. Of course, that means the other person would need a email/data capable phone, too...

8. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It's always been that way, though.

9. newyorksole macrumors 68020

You would think that as texting gets more popular companies try to make it more affordable to draw in more customers. Smh at AT&T.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

That is the price point for most if not all cell phone companies.

11. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Oh really? damn, oh well. I just hope AIM works well for the iPhone.

12. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Well, if you're planning to AIM instead of text to save money, I don't think it will work.

So it would seem, according to this, that an IM would count as a text message.

13. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Oh lord, smh. Ummm well hopefully that changes because I refuse to have IMs count as texts.

14. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

AIM on phones count as text. But it is possible for the iPhone to be the first phone that doesn't. It depends on how powerful the SDK is, I believe. And knowing that, I believe that AIM will run through as data instead of SMS if they make it work with http requests like Apollo IM and MobileChat.

Every other phone had IMs as text. The iPhone would be the first I think...

Unless the Blackberrys/Palm/other smart phones already have that covered.

15. zildjianfan macrumors regular

A rep at AT&T told me the same, only 200 for $5, not 250.

16. newyorksole macrumors 68020

When you say IMs count as texts do you mean when you IM someone via text or when I open the AIM client on a phone and the messages I send thru the AIM client are texts.

17. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

well lets hope because its going to be the same as other atat smart phones that its eligible for my ATT work discounts

18. 7on macrumors 601

7on

T-mobile USA
    400 SMS - $4.99
    1000 SMS - $9.99
    Unlimited - $14.99

19. Paul S macrumors regular

I haven't used AIM, but I had Google Talk (GTalk) on my Blackberry, and it didn't come through as texts--just used data. It was so nice.

20. Paul S macrumors regular

Also, Sprint's is $10 for unlimited SMS/MMS.

21. pcorrado macrumors regular

an interesting thought about the text message option (and why separate plans are a rip)...all those plans include mms of all kinds, which of course means that the cost of the plan factored in those features

since the phone obviously lacks that ability, special sms only plans should really be created, which was the case with the original iPhone and I am convinced the reason why the data plan included text was simply because MMS was not available and the inclusion of sms in the data was too offset that lack of feature.

I also assume ATT and Apple made a deal that there would be no MMS so long as SMS was part of the data plan.

I don't know what any of this speculation has to do with the 3G, but that's as much as everyone in the world knows right now...

22. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

AT&T specifically states that they allow free sign-in. So even if you're paying texting as you go, it's still free to sign in and out.

It counts when someone IMs you or you IM back...and then if a single one is over 160 characters (or words? nah.) then it gets split into two.

Hopefully all the IM clients for the iPhone are the same :).

23. M0bile macrumors regular

What I would like to know is why there's no option in between $5 and $15? It just goes straight from 200/$5 to 1500/$15. I know I can do 200-300/month, but I can't get anywhere near 1500 to justify $15/month. And I do mean anywhere, unless there's an AIM/iChat client that comes out that counts as texts. :(

24. macduke macrumors 603

macduke

Everyone...AT&T has not announced the pricing plans for the iPhone 3g!! That said, I strongly believe that there will be texts included, like the old plan has. If it doesn't then that will make it really hard for me, and lots of people I know to justify the extra monthly expense of the new iPhone 3g. Texts cost the carriers hundredths of a cent each to send. They would be foolish not to at least tack on the 200 messages, as the extra $10 a month cost is already a kick in the pants. 200 messages is usually enough for most of the people I know who are my age who are in their early to mid 20's and missed out on the big texting boom. My sister, who is just 4 years younger than me needs thousands of texts and never removes her thumbs from her crappy T-Mobile phone all day long. I just don't understand it, but for most people my age who are young professionals exiting college we don't need that many texts and we are more likely to purchase the new iPhone. I know its not the case for everyone my age but its better than nothing and makes the transition much smoother and easier to justify IMO.

25. Rozvagyj macrumors newbie

I use AIM on my blackberry (till july 11th...) and it come thru as data, not as txts...