Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Wall Street Journal reports (subscription required) that major textbook publishers have struck deals with Apple to bring their content to the iPad. According to the report, textbook publishers will rely on the technology of ScrollMotion, which already has experience developing such content for the iPhone.
Though Apple didn't outline its strategy to target the educational sector with its iPad last week, people familiar with Apple's thinking have said that the iPad's use in schools was one of the focal points of discussions in developing the product. In its exploration of electronic book technology, it thought particularly about how it could re-invent textbooks, these people said.
Rumors of talks between Apple and textbook publishers prior to the iPad's launch sparked interest in the offerings, and they gained additional publicity when McGraw-Hill CEO Terry McGraw appeared to tip Apple's hand regarding the iPad the day before its official introduction. Apple chose not to discuss McGraw-Hill's offerings or any other e-textbook offerings at the media event, leading to conflicting claims about whether McGraw-Hill had been tossed from the event at the last minute over its CEO's comments.

Today's report notes that McGraw-Hill Education, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt K-12, Pearson Education, and Kaplan have all reached deals with Apple for the iPad.

Article Link: Textbook Publishers Strike Deals to Bring Content to iPad

chuckles:)

macrumors 6502
May 3, 2006
CANADA
I would like to not have to haul those things around anymore. As long as there's some way for me to annotate/highlight.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Looks like everyone's getting ready for the iPad revolution. This will be huge. Sick potential.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
That will ultimately be the question.

Text books are very expensive. They blame it on the limited run. You would think this kind of platform would allow for more competition because you could have businesses capable of creating text books without the ability to create them in enough quantity to make them worthwhile in print.

Ultimately though the teachers and schools decide what texts will be used, but I think it will be interesting.

People have to get over the idea of buying and selling their old text books. That is a small price to pay for what this will be able to offer.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
OUP? CUP? Is this going to be another 'only in the USA' that Internet media distribution seems to be stuck on?

Hmac

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2007
Midwest USA
The content paradigm begins to unfold.

It would be nice if this announcement might finally make it apparent to the iPad detractors that the device is about content, not hardware...but I doubt it - they're too focused on how the were screwed by Apple in not providing them with the supercomputer-on-a-shingle that they thought they were owed.

Justinf79

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2009
Oregon
Hopefully the electronic versions will be a lot cheaper than the paper versions, because with the paper versions you can sell back to the bookstore (or even return with the full purchase price).

Tech-Minded

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2010
I would like to not have to haul those things around anymore. As long as there's some way for me to annotate/highlight.

I don't know how easy it would be to annotate with your finger on the touch screen....

Moof1904

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2004
This is great news. Because of decreased distribution costs, college textbooks will now be $695 each instead of the pricey $700!

macnchiefs

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2009
And reading a text book where you can't change font, size, brightness etc is better? If there is eye strain it will be simply due to the huge increase people will be able to read any time any where.

Have you never read a book on an actual e-reader before. They're that dull color for a reason. I don't know about anyone else but after working on my computer staring at the screen my eyes ache.

All the sudden people forgot about the benefits of an actual e-reader screen because the iPad didn't get it. I love the content that Apple is lining up but no way in hell would I ever read an actual book or text book on it. Some articles from a newspaper or a blog is one thing but once you start getting into books - it's just not good for your eyes at all.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida

It would be nice if this announcement might finally make it apparent to the iPad detractors that the device is about content, not hardware...but I doubt it - they're too focused on how the were screwed by Apple in not providing them with the supercomputer-on-a-shingle that they thought they were owed.

I suspect many of the so called detractors we get on the Apple forums these days are PC trolls or PC associated product trolls who sense their very existence is threatened. Out of curiosity, I wonder how many Mac users spend hours on PC sites making stupid and negative comments? Personally I have never even been on one and I use PCs and Macs. I simply enjoy the adventure on the Mac forums as Apple continually advances computing and bring paradigm shifts to the industry.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
Have you never read a book on an actual e-reader before. They're that dull color for a reason. I don't know about anyone else but after working on my computer staring at the screen my eyes ache.

All the sudden people forgot about the benefits of an actual e-reader screen because the iPad didn't get it. I love the content that Apple is lining up but no way in hell would I ever read an actual book or text book on it. Some articles from a newspaper or a blog, no problem. But once you start getting into books - it's just not good for your eyes at all.

I read on a Mac all day and on an iPhone a hell of a lot but I admit I have never used an e-reader as such. On the Mac and iPhone my eyes are fine so i have to assume on an iPad they will be too. The negative comments like yours sound like the 'iPod will make you deaf' comments, it takes some common sense as with most things in life.

I will concede I love listening to novels read to me on my iPod these days lol.

jsol92

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Tell you what, apple, get me textbooks on the iPad and I MIGHT purchase one alongside a MacBook Pro.

Then again I'd rather wait a year or so so they can work out all the bugs :p

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I don't know how easy it would be to annotate with your finger on the touch screen....

Maybe you could draw/doodle with your finger (ooh that sounded dirty) but for text I assume you could just tap near where you want to annotate and type into a box that'll stick to that point.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
OUP? CUP? Is this going to be another 'only in the USA' that Internet media distribution seems to be stuck on?
Oxford and Cambridge are going to have to strike their own licensing deals. My guess is that there will be separate US and UK iBookstores.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Maybe you could draw/doodle with your finger (ooh that sounded dirty) but for text I assume you could just tap near where you want to annotate and type into a box that'll stick to that point.
Exactly; the same type of interface as the copy/paste text selection on the iPhone.

ShiftyPig

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
AU

I could have had an "iBookstore" on my laptop for years - this isn't some sort of content revolution. The device is about hardware.... there isn't one iota of content that isn't available somewhere else. In fact, textbooks have been coming with digital copies for years; it's that nobody uses them.

As I've said before, the only people who see this as a "paradigm shift" are simpletons who are mesmerized by a different, inefficient user interface.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.