Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beowulf666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
So I just bought a case to carry my macbook/textbooks in today. And i was just wondering. The macbook casing isn't exactly the toughest stuff in the world, and when i put a few of my text books and binders in the bag along with my macbook I just sorta get the feeling like I'm gonna crack my screen because there's too much pressure. I look at my macbook and it's fine every time i pull it back out, but i just sorta have that "new buyers feeling" where i want to make sure NOTHING bad happens to it. So what do you guys think? I mean it's not crammed up to the point where i can't close the zipper, but i just get that feeling like somethings gonna happen, but am i just being a bit too worrisome? any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

gazfocus

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2008
Liverpool, UK
So I just bought a case to carry my macbook/textbooks in today. And i was just wondering. The macbook casing isn't exactly the toughest stuff in the world, and when i put a few of my text books and binders in the bag along with my macbook I just sorta get the feeling like I'm gonna crack my screen because there's too much pressure. I look at my macbook and it's fine every time i pull it back out, but i just sorta have that "new buyers feeling" where i want to make sure NOTHING bad happens to it. So what do you guys think? I mean it's not crammed up to the point where i can't close the zipper, but i just get that feeling like somethings gonna happen, but am i just being a bit too worrisome? any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks.

You can get a sleeve for the macbook (from most computer sellers and ebay), and they are often shock resistant. This would be a good purchase if you're worried about books damaging your macbook.

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
if you have any kind of case use it. That will prevent abrasive damage and or scuffing to the outer case.

Other than that I carry books in my backpack along with my MBP. If you're scared of damaging it by weight alone, dont put the backpack flat on the ground with the computer under the books (inside the backpack). Leave it upright.

Beowulf666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
if you have any kind of case use it. That will prevent abrasive damage and or scuffing to the outer case.

Other than that I carry books in my backpack along with my MBP. If you're scared of damaging it by weight alone, dont put the backpack flat on the ground with the computer under the books (inside the backpack). Leave it upright.

Well i just mean that when i press down lightly on my macbook's screen back part, it sorta bends in a little. I guess I'm just a little paranoid lol. I'll definitely put it up right or at least have my macbook on top of my books instead of the other way around. Thanks ^_^.

kuebby

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2007
MD
Well i just mean that when i press down lightly on my macbook's screen back part, it sorta bends in a little. I guess I'm just a little paranoid lol. I'll definitely put it up right or at least have my macbook on top of my books instead of the other way around. Thanks ^_^.

Same thing happens if I press on the outside of my MBP. I'm just careful with it and I bought a backpack with a protective sleeve for the laptop so it doesn't get damaged.

Beowulf666

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 26, 2007
Same thing happens if I press on the outside of my MBP. I'm just careful with it and I bought a backpack with a protective sleeve for the laptop so it doesn't get damaged.

Yeah mine has a sleeve too, and it seems padded enough. It's my first laptop so i just want to be EXTRA sure you know? but thanks, i feel a bit more comfortable now ^_^.

Megatron

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2005
I just try to be gentle with my backpack when my mbp is in it, and when I set it down on the ground I put the side with the books on the bottom so the weight isn't pushing down on the mbp. So far it's been fine.

FanOfMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2008
Sleeve - Works Great!!

Try this sleeve purchase at MacMall and get your money back through rebate. I did. You can too.

FREE 13.3" Edge I Shoulder Case (black/titanium) after mail-in rebate. Price before rebate is $34.99.

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop...houlder Case - Black/Titanium-Carrying Cases

I put my MacBook in my Edge I and place my Edge I in my backpack. I'm protected. But if I don't need to lug around anything else, then my Edge I has a handle!

letswastetime

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2007
as long as you have a case you should be fine.

i have a case for mine and i put it in my backpack with all my books and school stuff and its perfectly safe.

Collin973

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2006

exactly what I do. Be conscious of where and how you put your backpack down and don't throw it across the room on to your couch.

I've been carrying mine with a backpack full of textbooks and more for over a year now and my MBP is still in pristine condition.

I use to worry about the books hurting my mbp. So, just be careful and cautious and you'll be a-ok.

elcid

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2007
I have had mine for 8 months now and still wonder. But low and behold there are no problems and it boots up fine every time. I have a padded area like a sleave and some books I carry around. Works well.

Billz

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2007
I put my MacBook in my bookbag all the time. It has a padded pocket made for a laptop. I haven't had any problems with mine yet. Just treat it like a fragile computer and you should be fine.

Bill

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.