Textbooks: Where do you get yours?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Zombie Acorn, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Its around that time when college is about to start back up and unsuspecting freshmen are about to have their wallets raped by the university bookstores. I was one of these poor saps my freshmen year before I figured out that you buy a 200 dollar text and they give you 8 bucks for it at the end of the semester, just to resell it for 170 the next year.

Where does everyone buy their texts from? I usually hit up ebay because they have international texts which are identical to US versions for a portion of the cost. To give you an idea I have saved nearly $600 dollars on only 4 text books this semester so far.

I figured this might be educational for anyone heading off the college, don't let the bookstore screw you over. Even the used books are overpriced.

2. timerollson macrumors 65816

bigwords.com

and/or

abebooks.com

I was in my undergraduate business school so most of my books were large textbooks running upwards of $200 each. I just bought the International Editions (paperback cover) and never spent more than $50-$60 on them. Then, I'd resell on the Facebook Marketplace & Craigslist for around $30-$40 at the end of each semester.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I just bought my daughter's books at half.com and saved around $100-150.

4. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

mine are provided by my sixth-form college, aka my school.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

My campus bookstore seems better than most. They actually give a semi-decent amount of money for the books, and their used prices are somewhat competitive with what you find on Amazon Marketplace. I usually just get the list of books I need, then shop around a bit for the good deals. Remember to BUY USED! They are much cheaper, and since they mainly depreciate from becoming "Not new", used books can generally be sold back for a much greater percentage of what you paid for them, even at campus bookstores.

6. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I buy all my textbooks new from Amazon. I just can't read used books unless I know where they've been...it's a weird OCD thing I have, and also why I almost never patronize libraries.

I will, however, sell them back to my campus bookstore. More often than not I get a deal comparable to what I'd make selling them on Amazon Marketplace, only without the hassle of actually having to do that.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I buy them used on Amazon. There are some great deals in the marketplace.

8. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I use bookfinder.com and just type in the isbn then pick the cheapest book from the list...

9. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

New from Amazon and Half.com. Saved over $300 on five books this semester, all US editions too. I don't do used books unless I can examine them before purchasing. Plus, most of the time a new book on Amazon or Half is significantly cheaper than buying a used book at school, so I still save quite a bit. Most of accounting books are updated for each year anyways, so there isn't usually much choice other than a new book.

10. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

I pretty much only buy used. It is just too expensive to go new for a book I will use for one semester...

11. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Half.com

International editions never bothered me either and I actually preferred them since they were soft-cover.

12. ecstasy macrumors 6502

ecstasy

* Subscribed.

I had enough experience getting screwed over by high school textbooks.

It won't happen in college. ;)

13. cuestakid macrumors 68000

I have a Learning Disability. As such, I was willing to pay whatever my bookstore was charging for my books no matter what because I needed the books immediately so that I could get started on whatever it was that I needed to. I guess I just accepted the fact that books are a necessary but absurdly expensive part of my college career and I was not in the place to risk my books getting delayed or getting the wrong version or whatever. I simply decided I would go into the bookstore, get the needed and recommended books and almost just ignore the price because if I dwelled on it I would just get upset.

14. neoserver macrumors 6502

I get mine from Amazon. CAn usually save on average about $30-50 over my University's bookstore (these are for new books, can get better deals used obviously..)