TextEdit and fullscreen

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blinkie, Apr 27, 2016.

1. blinkie macrumors regular

Hey. You know when you go fullscreen in TextEdit? The 'page' is displayed on the left side of the screen. Is there a way to centre it?

Or, alternatively, is there an another lightweight word-processor app that allows that.

Thanks in advance,

B.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

To me, the menu bar is gone, and the entire screen is filled with the TextEdit window I have open.

3. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Oh yeah. I mean.... When you Format - Wrap To Page. That page is stuck on the left. Is there a way to move it to the middle?

4. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Not that I know of. The page is anchored to the ruler (upper left corner of page at "0" on the ruler). Unless the ruler can be set to show negative numbers (and there's no indication that it can), then there's no way to change this.

Since there's no way to type outside the margins of the page in Wrap to Page, there's also no particular need to have the window wider than the page - just resize the window to match the dimensions of the page.

If you mean that you use both Wrap to Page and Full Screen mode... again, nothing you can do. Unless your page dimensions match the dimensions of your display, there's going to be gray space around the page, and the page is going to be positioned flush-left. I do understand why you'd want to be able to center; on my 27" iMac, you get this (seems pretty silly, doesn't it?): Screen Shot 2016-04-27 at 12.55.37 PM.png

Like the old joke goes, "Doctor, it hurts when I do this." "Then don't do that!" If you're taking an app to Full Screen in order to banish distractions... I can see how this would be more distracting than useful.

Full Screen definitely has its uses, but it tends to be more beneficial on a laptop or other small screen - when you're using a large display like mine, there are lots of apps that just don't work that well in Full Screen.

5. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

Yup ApfelKuchen that's exactly my issue. There is a word processor called Bean that'll show the page in the centre of a full screen but it has a few quirks that I was trying to get away from. I suppose I'll just carry on using that then.

6. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68020

Pages works exactly as you seem to desire. You didn't get that free with your Mac?

7. blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

I did. I know. I just wanted to do the same with TextEdit. Thanks for your help.

8. Tech198 macrumors G4

When u see half greyscreen, the option changes to "Wrap to Window" Use this instead.

9. adnanomatic macrumors newbie

adnanomatic

Have you try iA writer? It is a good app to write things with markdown feature that easy to use.

10. blinkie, Apr 28, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2016

blinkie thread starter macrumors regular

That looks interesting. Thanks.

It's quite like WriteRoom, which I used to use years ago.