TextEdit Autosave?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by IMacc, May 31, 2012.

1. IMacc macrumors newbie

Hey!

I had a textedit file that I was unable to save because it contained some letters that it just wouldn't save. (strange - it can display them but not save them? Saving without them is also impossible)

Anyway I was unable to find and delete the characters before my mac shut down because the battery ran out. I had 10% remaining and it just shut down without going to offline mode.

So now my textedit file is gone, I presume the autosave was also impossible because of those letters as all I got back was the old file without the newly added text. The autosave directory is empty as well.

I guess there is nothing I can do, but if you have any ideas of how to restore the file, shoot. (damn I hate computers).

-Thanks

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Did you have Time Machine running? If so, you might have gotten lucky and Time Machine ran at just the right time and captured a version for you.

3. IMacc thread starter macrumors newbie

I haven't really used timemachine... How do I know if it was on?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Click the Apple at the top left of your screen then System Preferences from that menu. You will see an entry for Time Machine in that System pref pane.

If you are not sure what it is, I suspect you do not have it on. You would need some sort of external drive attached for it to backup to.

5. IMacc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep, not ON.

Thanks for the tip anyways.