TEXTEDIT .docx and opening it in MSWord

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by verzas, Jan 31, 2008.

1. verzas macrumors newbie

verzas

I am a new MAC user and I decided to just use TEXT EDIT for now, instead of iword or MS Office. I send my resume by email a lot and I have saved it as a docx in textedit. I have opened it on a PC with Word, but the format of my resume is off. For instance, in textedit it shows as single space and on Word it is now double spaced and my headings are spaced weirdly! Does anyone know how to save a textedit docx. document so that it opens up exactly the way you want it in Word? My resume looks sloppy with too many double spaces when I send it!

Thanks
    vz

2. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

TextEdit is similar to WordPad in Windows (more so than Notepad), minimal formatting capability, and definitely not directly compatible with the docx formatting. I'm not particularly paranoid or cynical, but one could posit that the docx format was devised specifically to kill compatibility with other formats (including earlier versions of Word).

Nah. Microsoft would never do that.

Try saving as txt, then open in Word and reformat as needed. Also, look into NeoOffice. Free, full Word compatibility (except for docx, natch...).