TextEdit help needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zobothehobo, Jul 27, 2014.

1. zobothehobo macrumors newbie

Someone needs to help me, because I'm going insane. I'm trying to help my grandfather out, we're running Mac OS X 10.6.8 and I'm trying to get TextEdit to NOT save as a different document when he exits and saves. Currently, his primary method of saving is to click the x to exit the document, the program will ask him if he wants to save his changes, and when he clicks yes, it saves as a different document. Initially, I thought this was a simple preference issue and I could just change the default save settings to "save" rather than "save as" as it is on MOST word processors. But no.... It's apparently far more difficult than that and I cannot find ANYTHING about it when I google. Apparently a later version of the Mac OS changed things so now save as is gone or something and that's all I can fine when I google... But this is the opposite problem that I have. I'll try to re-train him to manually click "save" instead of exiting and clicking save when it asks him, but he's old and I don't think that's going to work very well. He's becoming quite distressed by the fact that for every document he has, there's 20 different versions- ALL SAVED UNDER THE EXACT SAME NAME! How macs an save multiple documents under the EXCT SAME NAME, I will never know. This is why I'm a windows person, to be honest... At any rate... does anyone know what I am talking about and is there a way to change this?????????????

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

go to TextEdit / Preferences.

Set the "Open and Save" tab up like this : check the "Delete the automatic backup file" box

[​IMG]

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

4. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

5. zobothehobo thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I thought that setting was... but it IS checked and it has been. It was when I went into preferences, I unchecked it, saved, and rechecked it to reset the setting and it's still not working

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I have checked again on 10.6.8 and I do not have this issue.

You might need to delete a TextEdit preference file.

Do you know how to do this ?

Did you try to restore the preferences to default ?

7. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Ah, right. I read that wrong, I'm sorry. :eek:

There is a program called ForeverSave that you might have a look at. The easiest thing would be to tell him to push Command-S before exiting, but I understand.

8. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

What happens if you close TextEdit while a document is open? Does it prompt to Save, or does it simply close?

The behavior you describe sounds more like Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks, which continuously auto-save. Are you sure you're on Snow Leopard?

I less-than-fondly remember the days when you'd hit CMND + S (or CTRL + S on PCs) every few minutes or risk losing all. At least under today's OS X, I've lost that fear - the system can crash and I get everything back, or perhaps everything but the last few characters.

System Preferences > General: Ask to keep changes when closing documents

That preference, if available to you, will end that "save-when-you-close" scenario that's driving you nuts.

The only question then is, can you trust auto-save to have saved the current document's condition when you close it?

I suggest experimenting. It should only take a few minutes. Turn off that preference. Open a test document, make some changes, close it. Open it again.