TextEdit is annoying!

loressa

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 8, 2014
2
0
1.Why drop the SaveAs?
Sometimes I save over the original by mistake because I'm not used to this concept! Most other programs employ SaveAs. You either have to duplicate the file or make another in the listing.

2. Why not give us the option to skip the dialogue that comes up when you open an html file you're working on? ("blah.html" is a web application downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it?)
Sometimes I need to edit multiple html files. I used to be able to shift-select a bunch of them to edit quickly, now this annoying dialogue comes up on every one!

3. Files auto-lock if they have not been edited recently.
This is another annoying feature, especially if you are editing multiple files. There needs to be a option to turn this off.

Please take heed, Apple! I'm sure I'm not the only one affected here!
 

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
18,872
368
Inside
Number two is Mac OS X's quarantine feature that was introduced with Leopard. Text Edit isn't the only application that will do that. Nearly everything will prompt for that if the file was downloaded through Safari. I think Chrome and Firefox don't fully support it for all file types yet.
 

epic-retouching

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2014
89
0
I very rarely open text edit. I use textwrangler 99% of the time and various other word processors the other 1%. I even use sticky notes instead of textedit.
 

gumblecosby

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2010
296
5
1.Why drop the SaveAs?
Sometimes I save over the original by mistake because I'm not used to this concept! Most other programs employ SaveAs. You either have to duplicate the file or make another in the listing.

2. Why not give us the option to skip the dialogue that comes up when you open an html file you're working on? ("blah.html" is a web application downloaded from the internet. Are you sure you want to open it?)
Sometimes I need to edit multiple html files. I used to be able to shift-select a bunch of them to edit quickly, now this annoying dialogue comes up on every one!

3. Files auto-lock if they have not been edited recently.
This is another annoying feature, especially if you are editing multiple files. There needs to be a option to turn this off.

Please take heed, Apple! I'm sure I'm not the only one affected here!
For point 1, do this: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20120604101520950

For 3, do this: http://osxdaily.com/2012/01/24/turn-off-file-locking-in-os-x-lion/

For 2, I don't recommend disabling quarantining for file downloads but you can: http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20091208050655947