?!?! TextEdit making tempfiles, can i stop this?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Jongewehr, May 9, 2009.

1. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

hey guys just switched to a mac,

was editing some .txt files that are on my local terastation (storage device)

saved them then went on a window machine an saw these .filename.txt
    is there a way to stop these tempfiles, or some terminal command.

i guess i could delet them but then i would creat them again if i open it again right? thanks guys

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

The only way is with a 3rd party app like BlueHarvest (i dont think there is a freeware version unfortunately). OS X just likes to leave hidden files lay around everywhere.

3. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

will they auto clean them selves like with the scrips that run at night?

4. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

With BlueHarvest it somehow keeps the hidden files from ever showing up. I have it because it keeps my thumb drives clean. No .Spotlight folders, .DS_Store, .Trashes, or any of that junk. You can drop a folder into it and it will clean it for you too.

5. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

great i just got it an seemed to get rid of the temp files on there,

kinda weird that osx does that , u think they would have those auto delete or just not even happen , wats the point of them?

thanks guys, this saved the windows guy in the house that im tryin to get to look at osx lol,:apple::apple::apple::apple:

6. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Tbh, i have no idea what all the hidden files are for. Its not a unix thing, as the various linux distros and FreeBSD dont do this (freebsd mught, i havent used it a whole lot).

Iirc, Linux creates all sorts of hidden files, but keeps them in the user's home folder so they arent scattered around making a mess when you take the files to windows or a portable device.

You know whats fun? Get something that plays videos and copy some movies over to it. If you are lucky you might get some hidden ._movietitle.avi files laying around. The problem is that the portable device probably isnt running osx, so it thinks the 'hidden' files are actually avi movies and puts them in the list. Someone once told me that i was stupid for getting frustrated with this, and scattered hidden files was part of the "elegance" of osx. Lol. I hope they fix this in 10.6 so i dont have to fight against the OS and its goofy resource fork management.

BlueHarvest has saved me so many headaches from cleaning up after OSX.