TextEdit Never Quits

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tokyojerry, Jun 14, 2010.

1. tokyojerry macrumors newbie

I have a situation in which TextEdit simply will not Quit. It is constantly loaded. Even after a system reboot TextEdit is always loaded and displays a blank text edit window. The blank text edit window can be closed by not TextEdit application itself. Somehow, perhaps some setting, configuration, or possible conflict with another program it is being forced to stay open. It is not causing any system problems to my knowledge, but it is an irritant. Any suggestion on the cause? A solution to making it quit as it should? Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What exact Mac OS X and TextEdit version do you have?

I gather CMD+Q doesn't help to quit the TextEdit application?
    Have you taken a look at System Preferences > Accounts > YOU > Login Items and seen if TextEdit is listed there?

3. miiles macrumors regular

Right click (control + click) or click and hold down the button, on the icon for TextEdit on your dock. Ensure that "Open at Login" is not checked.

4. tokyojerry thread starter macrumors newbie

@spinnerlys, OS-X is latest, Snow Leopard 10.6.3. TextEdit: v1.6 (264).
    Cmd+Q of course would be the first logical choice but as soon as it quits it instantaneously reloads itself. Thus, it never quits. The Force Quit does not help either. (Alt+right click) does not work either. Same result. Reloads. It must be something deeper in the system that is conflicting. That is what I can not figure out. It is not loaded in automatic logins either under my user account. Weird phenomena!

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Run console.app (utilities folder) as you quit it and it rrelaunches and paste results.

6. tokyojerry thread starter macrumors newbie

TextEdit Never Quits >> Culprit Discovered

Mondomouse
    http://www.atomicbird.com/mondomouse/

Apparently this app which somehow was not installed (or uninstalled) properly in the past seems to be the culprit causing this problem. I reinstalled the mondomouse preference pane, then used AppCleaner to uninstall the mondomouse preference pane. TextEdit now works properly as it should.

BTW and a side note, I find Zooom2 to be a very good alternative to the mondomouse program.

Thanks for the suggestions.