TextEdit not opening at last position and size

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ICEBreaker, Feb 16, 2010.

1. ICEBreaker macrumors 6502

I have a rather silly query. With most windows, they open in the last position and size that they were closed. This general behaviour appears to hold true for most applications, whether system preferences, native applications, or third party applications. However, I have noted - to my great frustration - that TextEdit does not conform to this behaviour. Instead, it chooses to open in a specific place and size each time, regardless of what I do. Anything I can do to fix this. Thanks a lot! P.S. I open applications using Quicksilver.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Interesting. I just wrote out the procedure that is the standard method for changing the default location and size of a new window, and just to make sure I wasn't being an idiot, I went and tested it. You're absolutely right, it doesn't work. Not entirely sure why…

jW

3. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You can change the Window Size in preferences. Positioning is not among the options.

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

I think this is fairly standard behavior for applications that deal with "documents", like TextEdit. Most apps just inherit from the system where windows are created. I get the same behavior in Preview and QuickTime Player.

7. ICEBreaker thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for your help!

Thanks Gregg2. Well at least I got the windows size sorted out. That's one less thing to deal with. Cool.

You are right Mal! It does seem on the net that quite a few people have noted their similarities, but most respond by saying that Nathan is "hotter".

Well, kainjow, at least with QuickTime and Preview, the window appears in the centre of the screen, which is pretty much where most people would want it. As for my TextEdit, it's half way on the left hand side. I wouldn't mind if it were in the middle.