TextEdit question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by fine0023, Mar 15, 2013.

1. fine0023 macrumors newbie

Whenever I use TextEdit, I find it annoying that it automatically corrects misspelled/unknown words. I know I can go to 'spelling and grammar' and uncheck the 'check spelling while typing' and 'correct spelling automatically' options, but this is also annoying because I have to do this each time I start the program. Is there a way to make these settings permanent?
    I was also thinking of just getting a different program such as TextMate....so if anyone has any thoughts on that program compared with textedit, feel free to share. Thanks.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

In my TextEdit(v1.6) Preferences there is the option to choose automatic correction, or not. However, it doesn't work for me, misspelt words stay misspelt. :confused:

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try changing the system-wide settings in System Preferences -> Keyboard that control this behavior.

4. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Settings are permanent here. Sounds like a corrupt preferences file. Try deleting com.apple.TextEdit.plist.

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Nope. That didn't work.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I misspoke here. The settings live in Language and Text -> Text tab: Use symbol and text substitution, and correct spelling automatically.

7. benwiggy macrumors 68020

What are you using TextEdit for?

If you need a text editor (i.e. something that only manipulates text, and does not formatting, for scripting etc), I would recommend TextWrangler, which is free, or BBEdit, it's paid-for bigger brother.

If you want a word processor, then use Pages or NeoOffice.

TextEdit isn't really very good at either function.