TextEdit "Save" window is HUGE, extends off screen

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by PaperQueen, Mar 14, 2013.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

While in TextEdit, File > Save now produces a window so large, it no longer fits on my MBA screen. Sometimes, it stretches off the left, so you can't see where you're saving to...other times, it stretches off the right, so the only way out is to hit the esc key.

Can't drag the thing into a more visible position either, since it's locked in place.

Screen shot (ignore the list of error images...those are mockups from a training session I was putting together):

[​IMG]

No clue what the odd horizontal gray line is drifting across the empty columns in the screen shot...that's a new twist, as of this attempt.

I haven't changed the resolution, am still using 10.7.5. Can't for the life of me figure out what suddenly changed that created this weird behavior (or how to fix it).

Sorry if this has already been addressed. Did a bunch o' searches before surrendering to the fact terms like "save," "window," "extends," and "screen" are so common, a bazillion non-applicable threads show up.

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Have you tried to resize it, don't know if it's available in Lion (I skipped Lion) but on ML you can resize it by going to the lower right (might also be left) corner and drag it to make it smaller, it might work next time it shows the box.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Click this button, then click it again and see if it opens in a normal size.
    save_goes_off_screen.jpg

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

I just tried in Safari what I said before, I resized it to a big size, then canceled and save again, it stayed at the same big size so I think it works like what I said.

5. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

It worked. Whew! Seems to be holding....

I didn't see your post until trying the suggestion from justperry, but am hanging onto both suggestions, to be safe. This was so odd, and out of nowhere. If it reoccurs on the opposite side of the screen (which it's also been doing), the resize corner will be hidden, which means using the arrow you suggested.

Thanks to both of you for jumping in so quickly. Gotta love MacRumors forums! :)

6. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

As I said before, I never had Lion, I do know you can resize this window in ML on the left corner as well, this might also be the case in Lion.