Textedit Unicode Viewing

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maheri, Aug 10, 2008.

1. maheri macrumors newbie

Simply put, I'm looking for the option in Textedit to toggle between viewing Unicode as characters and ID numbers, that is in a format similar to "\u06de\u203c\u203c\u2020".

I created a document, threw in some Unicode that displayed properly, saved, quit, reopened (it was still in the character format), saved it to a thumb drive, and tried to open it on a different computer to no avail.

Thanks

Quick Edit:
    I tried searching the web but I couldn't come up with a precise enough description to avoid other Unicode problems.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Selecting the Edit>Special Characters... menu item is one way to bring up the Character Palette. Character Palette is available in virtually all MacOS X applications, including the Finder. Displaying the Unicode ID No. for a specific character is one of its many uses.

3. maheri thread starter macrumors newbie

Ya, I used character palette to input the Unicode... for some reason it automatically reverted to the unicode ID number after transferring the file. I know it should be possible to toggle between views... but I'm out of resources to find out how. Since I'm using a Java GUI that is displaying a text box with unicode characters, the appearance of a bunch of "/u###" values instead of characters is a little upsetting.