Textedit won't open..hangs and uses 100% of cpu

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by RipcordAFF, Sep 5, 2009.

1. RipcordAFF macrumors member

Hey guys,

This problem is driving me mad. On my UMB with SL, textedit won't open. When I click on it, it just hangs, eating 100% of my cpu...if i open activity monitor it just says "application not responding". No error message or anything though. I have tried permissions and disk repair, along with trashing the plist.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. RipcordAFF thread starter macrumors member

Quick update..i created a new user account and textedit opens just fine on that account, so something must limited to this account...ANY ideas would be appreciated, thanks!

3. JediMeister macrumors 68040

Run the Font Book application, a) select all fonts, Resolve Duplicates under the Edit menu, b) check the User font collection for anything odd, c) pull the com.apple.TextEdit.plist from ~/Library/Preferences, log out and then back into your user account and relaunch TextEdit.

4. RipcordAFF thread starter macrumors member

HA! Thanks for the response, but I finally figured it out last night. You'll never guess what it was. I was just fed up and let the computer chug away at 100% for about five minutes. FINALLY the text pad came up with 1,400 page document that was just total gibberish...guess it had it from a cache, but god knows from what. Anyways, just closed that and all was good. Thanks for your help though!