TextExpander-like functions within VMWare Fusion

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by akm3, Dec 28, 2012.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

I have and use and love Text Expander, but it won't work within Unity VMWare Fusion applications (e.g. Word, Outlook). For my work I am very lucky to get to use a Mac, and 90% of the time I'm in OS X applications. Every once in awhile I have to use VMware fusion to run windows applications and then none of my TextExpander stuff works.

I know that TextExpander won't work with VMWare Fusion.

Is there any software I can install on the virtual machine that will do the same thing from OS X? I know I'd have two separate sets of snippets, but does anyone have a windows program I could install on the VM that will work for the apps that run on the VM?

Thanks!

2. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

I'd just like to post an update and answer:

PhraseExpress will run within the VM and expand within windows. This has the added benefit of being able to import TextExpander snippets into Phrase express. For my use case, I don't add tons of new snippets often, so once I imported them into Phrase Express, all my snippets work whether it's in OS X or my VMWare Fusion Windows XP, so this is an ideal solution.

If I add something in TextExpender, I have to remember to reimport the text expander snippets into PhraseExpress.

Thanks everyone, I hope this helps someone else with the same question later.

3. reallyangryman macrumors newbie

reallyangryman

I had to make an account just to thank you for updating with your solution. It's not what I was looking for, but close enough that I might try that solution too.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use Phrase Expander in Windows and Text Expander in OSX. I actually like Phrase Expander better, it seems a more robust and feature packed app then Text Expander.