TextExpander not working with 10.6.5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by justn, Nov 19, 2010.

1. justn macrumors member

justn

I can't believe it has taken me this long to notice it, but I can't be the only one out there with an install of TextExpander that won't expand snippets. If anyone has any advice on what to do to fix this, that would be great.

2. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

Sorry. I have TE with 10.6.5 and no problems at all. Expansion works by shortcut and direct from within TE.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Which version, 2.x or 3.x? It works for me on 10.6.5 without problems, even while I also tried TypeIt4Me at the same time, but have just recently (90 minutes ago) switched completely to TE.

4. justn thread starter macrumors member

justn

I'm running 3.2, and its working now. I guess its just being finicky.

5. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Running the latest version of TE here on 10.6.5.

Ever since I installed TE—which was back in the days of 10.6.1, I believe—it stops expanding snippets after a few hours or days after launching.

This is very puzzling and, I believe, not related to the well-known 'Firefox' or 'Chrome' bug with secure keyboard input.

Any ideas? I cannot live without TE, as I do a lot of JSON coding.

Once the problem appears, the only solution is to reboot the machine. Restarting TE does not solve the issue.

6. JoshTheGeek macrumors newbie

Is the TextExpander window open? When using Spaces and no Dock icon, you don't really notice the window. If the window is open, it won't expand. It's annoying when you open it by accident.

7. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Interesting… No, the TE window is not open when the problem occurs. Neither does TE stop working when its window is open… Perhaps you have a different version of the software in mind? I use v3.2.

Thanks.

8. JoshTheGeek macrumors newbie

9. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Yes, I'm aware of that issue so I've actually uninstalled FF altogether from my machine!

Thanks anyway.

10. kaipu macrumors newbie

Mine is working fine too… I use Google Chrome…

11. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

Finally, issue reproduced!

I've finally been able to reproduce and (partly) address the issue.

Whenever TE fails to expand, it is because the TE window was opened (and possibly but not necessarily closed) in a different space from the one that I'm currently using.

To fix the problem, I need to open the TE window, open "Spaces", drag the window into the space that I'll be typing in, and optionally close the TE window.

JoshTheGeek's tip (see five posts above) was on the right track, but on my system, at least, it does not make any difference whether the TE window is open or not. Rather, the problem is triggered by a TE window that was closed or left open in a different space than the currently active one.

12. JoshTheGeek macrumors newbie

Open spaces and then the Expose all windows shortcut. It shows you windows in all spaces. (Including TE.) Thanks for the tip.

13. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

I spoke too soon!

Now my 'workaround' doesn't work! :mad::mad::mad:

14. Macula macrumors 6502

Macula

OK—now I think I nailed it!

I now think I found the root cause of the issue: It's Notational Velocity. In Preferences>Notes>Security, there is a checkbox for toggling 'secure text entry'. If turned on, it interferes with TextExpander and all such programs.

This hypothesis seems to be holding true so far.