Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KoNeko

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2009
I've been having an issue for awhile where my push notifications don't come through for TextFree, but work fine with every other app!

To clarify, I got an iPad for Christmas and for a while was switching between my iPhone and iPad with the texting. This required me to log out one device of my TextFree account and log into the other; I was granted access to my texts and received notifications on whatever device I was logged onto.

However, one day after logging into my iPad, my iPhone was still receiving the notifications so I deleted the app, turned notifications off and then back on and reinstalled TextFree on my iPhone. After doing that, neither would receive notifications for TextFree anymore. I tried reinstalling the app several times, toggling notifications for just the app and notifications in general, and logging in and out of my account on each device all to no avail. Now, neither my iPad nor my iPhone receive push notifications for TextFree but receive notifications for every other app just fine.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this awful problem? It's so difficult to rely on a texting app while being forced to check the app constantly for any messages...

EDIT: for what it's worth, the iPhone 4 is jailbroken on 4.1 and the iPad is the 3G model jailbroken on 3.2.2

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I've been having an issue for awhile where my push notifications don't come through for TextFree, but work fine with every other app!

To clarify, I got an iPad for Christmas and for a while was switching between my iPhone and iPad with the texting. This required me to log out one device of my TextFree account and log into the other; I was granted access to my texts and received notifications on whatever device I was logged onto.

However, one day after logging into my iPad, my iPhone was still receiving the notifications so I deleted the app, turned notifications off and then back on and reinstalled TextFree on my iPhone. After doing that, neither would receive notifications for TextFree anymore. I tried reinstalling the app several times, toggling notifications for just the app and notifications in general, and logging in and out of my account on each device all to no avail. Now, neither my iPad nor my iPhone receive push notifications for TextFree but receive notifications for every other app just fine.

Is there anything I can do to remedy this awful problem? It's so difficult to rely on a texting app while being forced to check the app constantly for any messages...

EDIT: for what it's worth, the iPhone 4 is jailbroken on 4.1 and the iPad is the 3G model jailbroken on 3.2.2
I have had issues with TextFree notifications and delayed messages for some time now, and Pinger has sent several text messages about the delays (but not the broken notifications). I was perfectly happy with the old TextFree (pre-Voice) but signed up for the Voice beta, which I should never have done. When their new app TextFree With Voce came out they sent me a text telling me about the new app, and every time I logged on it would give me an irritating splash screen trying to get me to download the new app (which is NOT and upgrade).

I did download the new app and thigns seemed to work except that the new app would never send notifications when a new message arrived. I still had the old app installed and when I used it instead I got the notifications fine, but also got the annoying splash screen. I deleted the old app and installed just the new one, and sometimes I get notifications, but usually not. I am getting very tired of this! I am downloading the old app again and will use that despite the irritations.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
BTW, does anybody know any way to disable that splash screen that advertises the new TextFree With Voice? I do not want the voice features, and besides the splash screen I am perfectly happy with the old (non-voice) version.

danny_w

macrumors 601
Mar 8, 2005
Cumming, GA
I deleted TextFree Voice and reinstalled Textfree (w/o Voice) and all is back working again, except that sometimes it can be very slow at receiving. I get a notification on my lock screen, unlock to the textfree screen, and sometimes it takes several seconds or even a minute or more to actually receive the text that I already saw on the lock screen.

Another somewhat unrelated issue has to do with the TextFree Desktop app, which is really just a GUI on the pinger website. I log into my account and can see recent conversations in the textfree window (both incoming and outgoing texts), but when I send new texts they do not appear in the window (only incoming texts appear). If I log out and back in, I can see both sides of the conversation again until I send another message. It seems that for some reason they do not show new outgoing texts, which makes the interface much less friendly. Does anybody else have this issue?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.