Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
Sorry if this has already been covered. I just discovered, after this most recent iOS update, that a texting bug has been fixed.

Before this update, when you would try replying to a text from within the pop up notification box, and someone would text you before you finished your reply, it would delete out whatever you typed. Now, it appears that whatever you type gets carried over into the full on Messages app rather than just being wiped out. Its kind of hard to explain, but I think most people that have dealt with this "bug" know what I'm referring to and will be happy to know that it has been corrected!

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I also noticed that pressing the empty area between the notification and keyboard does not dismiss the notification and delete the message. The send button is so close so I have lost what I wrote because of this.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I also noticed that pressing the empty area between the notification and keyboard does not dismiss the notification and delete the message. The send button is so close so I have lost what I wrote because of this.

Nice! I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned these "fixes". It was so damn annoying typing out a reply in the notification box then having it get wiped out because a new message would come in before sending the reply you were working on.

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Is the Messages app itself fixed? On 8.1.1, when I open Messages, a lot of the time it just freezes on whatever message it opens on. Sometimes, it will allow me to do the swipe gesture as if I were going back to the message list, but the screen stays frozen on the same message it started on.

The only fix is to force close Messages. This happens probably a half dozen times a day on 8.1.1 and it's awful.

RollTideFanGrl

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2013
Thank goodness..

This was very annoying especially when someone text you a sentence and as you reply back they send another text and boom your reply is gone. I stopped using it this way because of that.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Is the Messages app itself fixed? On 8.1.1, when I open Messages, a lot of the time it just freezes on whatever message it opens on. Sometimes, it will allow me to do the swipe gesture as if I were going back to the message list, but the screen stays frozen on the same message it started on.

The only fix is to force close Messages. This happens probably a half dozen times a day on 8.1.1 and it's awful.
Never experienced that, but the closest I've come was an issue related to third-party keyboards. Do you use a third-party keyboard, or the Apple one? If you are using third-party keyboards, supposedly iOS 8.3 has fixed more keyboard issues. I haven't used it enough to know if it resolved these problems fully; I've gotten into the habit of switching to a third-party keyboard, typing a message, and then switching back to the Apple keyboard once I'm finished. That procedure has drastically cut down on the number of app freeze-like behavior I've experienced due to the keyboards. It'll be nice when they're stable enough that we don't need to bother with switching back to the Apple keyboard, though.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Sorry if this has already been covered. I just discovered, after this most recent iOS update, that a texting bug has been fixed.

Before this update, when you would try replying to a text from within the pop up notification box, and someone would text you before you finished your reply, it would delete out whatever you typed. Now, it appears that whatever you type gets carried over into the full on Messages app rather than just being wiped out. Its kind of hard to explain, but I think most people that have dealt with this "bug" know what I'm referring to and will be happy to know that it has been corrected!

I noticed this during the betas. A welcome change that used to be very frustrating!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.