Texting different numbers on the iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by timotay89, Oct 16, 2011.

1. timotay89 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I just got my first iPhone on Friday. It's awesome. But I have an issue with text messages. Here's my current set up:

I tutor people so there's a lot of contacts. If I tutor a person called John Smith then under "mobile" is john's number. I also have an entry "cell m" for john's mother's cell and another thing like that for the father.

On the iPhone, when one of them texts me, how do I know which it is without having to look at their contact information? Is there a way to do this without creating different contacts for the student and the parent? I need to know the name I've given to the number before I respond to the message.

I think I might have explained that clearly...

Thanks

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

No.

3. timotay89 thread starter macrumors regular

Crap. I wish I didn't have to edit over 100 contacts and then create many more. This should be fun.

Thanks.

4. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Scroll to the top of the Text. It the "Contact" button. It will Highlight on the Contact Profile which number texted you.

5. timotay89 thread starter macrumors regular

That won't work for me. I am fully aware that I'm forgetful, and I will eventually forget to do that. If there's not a way to show the number directly on the text message screen, then I'm going to have to make everyone into separate contacts. Thanks though. Maybe I can train myself to remember instead. We'll see.

6. vjaaan macrumors 6502

The problem is, the 4S does not have a Contact button at the top of the page. So there is no way to check or change contact information from the text message.

I have run into the same problem trying to combine my contact from email lists and cell phone lists on the 4S. Some features mentioned in the instruction manual online do not apply to the iPhone 4S. And there is no way I can find to Search contacts, since the Contacts list does not have a Search button.

Anybody have ideas around these problems?

Thanks.

7. MagnusF macrumors regular

Wrong, i have it on my 4S

8. vjaaan macrumors 6502

As I look at a random text message on my 4S, I see the person's name at the top in the middle, the Messages button on top left, and the Edit button on top right. There is no Contact button.

9. aristobrat macrumors G4

You have to scroll to the beginning of the chat to see it. Tap the top middle of the screen (the clock) to scroll up automatically.

10. vjaaan macrumors 6502

Well, I'll be! thanks. I never would have thought to go back to the very beginning of all my message with that person to find another button option.

That was very helpful! I appreciate it.

11. vjaaan macrumors 6502

In a related question, I am reading in the iPhone instruction document about a way to combine all contacts of a single person. It's calling Unified contacts. It says: "Unified contacts
    "When you sync contacts with multiple accounts, you might have entries for the same person in more than one account. To keep redundant contacts from appearing in the All Contacts list, contacts from different accounts that have the same name are linked and displayed as a single unified contact. When you view a unified contact, the title Unified Info appears at the top of the screen.
    Link a contact: Tap Edit, the tap + and choose a contact.
    If you link contacts with different first or last names, the names on the individual contacts won’t change, but only one name appears on the unified card. To choose which name appears when you view the unified card, tap the linked card with the name you prefer, then tap Use This Name For Unified Card."
    Now, once again, I see no + sign after tapping Edit. Does this feature exist on the 4S? If not, how do I combine my same person contacts?
    Thanks.