Texting From Computer

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by greenorblue, Jun 22, 2011.

1. greenorblue, Jun 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2011

greenorblue macrumors member

greenorblue

Link.

Check the article out. Basically this is a Chrome extension that allows you to receive and reply to texts via your computer. Not only that, but if you reply on your computer, the person receiving the text gets it from your actual number. I'm pretty sure it alerts you when you're getting a call as well. The catch is you have to possess a phone running Android (2.2 I'm pretty sure) and Chrome. This is something I would LOVE to see Apple implement with the iPhone. Cellular service is complete balls in my house, so this would be absolutely lovely to have.

2. libertysat macrumors regular

I send/receive texts on my computer (cox cable) often
    Everyone I deal with is on verizon so I type in their 10 digit phone number@vtext.com

I don't remember the text codes for other carriers

3. schin macrumors newbie

Agreed. This is actually pretty cool. A while ago (I'm not sure if it's still around), but in Canada you could text from your carriers website to a phone on the same carrier.

Some times I wished we could send a text from our comp to a friend or family members cell. Who knows though, maybe Lion will be able to iMessage from a Mac to iOS devices. That would make sense as you can Facetime from a Mac to iOS devices now. It's just a matter of time I guess!

4. greenorblue thread starter macrumors member

greenorblue

I was thinking of something similar along the lines of iMessage/OSX integration.

5. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

I'm surprised no app developers haven't implemented this into an app that allows you to text over wifi. I'd pay 0.99 cents for THAT app :D :D. It wouldn't be too difficult just sort of make a web portal in an app but spice it up a bit that or just use the address of the carriers site and HTML code.

6. mysterioustko macrumors 6502

That really isn't the same thing. What you are doing is sending email. What this does is actually brings pop up text windows similar to an instant messaging style that allow you to send an receive texts. Totally different animal.

7. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

i have summited many requests to apple on apple.com/feedback.

i asked them to make an imessage app for mac as well as a chat field and screensharing for FaceTime. :D

8. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

AT&T has had this capability for years. I use it regularly.

9. greenorblue thread starter macrumors member

greenorblue

Can you elaborate?

10. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

How?

11. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

12. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

I do this as well. And I do texting from within my AIM client (Adium) as well.

13. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

@txt.ATT.net
    @mms.ATT.net

Just put the 10 digit cell number in front of the @

It works great!

14. blevins321 macrumors 68030

The email option shows up on received messages for dumbphone users as an MMS message, not a text message. So if you're on an old text-only contract, this can cost you money.

15. LapsangSouchong macrumors 65816

LapsangSouchong

Here's a list of them:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SMS_gateways

16. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

It's not very sexy, but if you get an AIM account, and go to iChat. You logon to AIM via iChat, Then when you want to send them a message, just go to File, Send SMS. Type in the number, and send it.

17. libertysat macrumors regular

Not true
    Try it yourself

Go to a computer and send yourself a text like I said - if your phone is verizon, use @vtext.com after your 10 digit phone number - otherwise google it for your carrier

I do it several times a week - to and from others

18. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

I have no doubt that this will be a feature in iMessage. If it's not available right away then it will be an update in the future. Just like how facetime was at first only phone to phone and then they made it available from computer to phone.

19. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

i wouldn't be surprised to see it integrated with iChat, along with its other updates

20. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

I use google if I need to text someone from my computer.