Texting from iPhone to BB issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 3GEE, Aug 29, 2010.

1. 3GEE macrumors regular

3GEE

A colleague of mine and I have been texting back and forth, I have an iPhone, he has a BB. If I only type a short text of just a few words we have no problem, but if I send him a text of a couple or three sentences, it seems to send it as a picture file (or snapshot of the text). He then has to log onto his provider site to see it.

We have been good-naturedly calling each others devices pieces of junk, but we can't figure out on which end it's causing the problem.

Any thoughts? Cheers.

2. draz macrumors 6502a

3. 3GEE thread starter macrumors regular

3GEE

If it makes a difference, we are both in Canada. I use fido, he uses bell. And this is the first time I have heard of any text recipient of mine having this issue. ( he says the same about receiving)

4. draz macrumors 6502a

Rogers (including Fido) has been having problems sending text messages to other carriers for a few weeks now. Rogers claims it is Bell and Bell claims it is Rogers. The text messages were going through many hours later. But considering that a lot of the reports are coming from Rogers customers it is most likely their inter-carrier server that isn't working right.

Either way... it has been going on for a few weeks now so hopefully the problem doesn't last much longer.

I am going to guess that this picture message you are getting might be some related issue regarding this whole situation.... Hopefully it fixes up soonish. But I would call Fido just to see what is going on and he should call Bell too.

5. Kevlar macrumors 6502

It's both networks (Rogers and the telus/bell network). Both just blame the other instead of fixing the issues linking the two networks.

6. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

Hm. You could try using FishText to skip out your network. Has a free trial so if it's a nogo then it hasn't cost you anything.

Sender ID won't be yours in Canada so the recipient will have to write you a new text to reply as they won't be using the app.

7. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

If there is no carrier fix then go and download Whatsapp ($1) in the app store & $2 for BB (my sis got a free first year so she hasn't paid yet) the app works with your simcard phone# and it automatically searches all your contacts in the contacts app and gives you a list of every person in your contacts that has the app (iphones, bb & i think android) and you can txt, record voice msj, pic & video to any of your friends for free that have the app! I love it, I receive their push notifications instantly and my bb friends have no complain receiving stuff instantly (for them the app looks like the bbm app I have been told). The app uses your data connection (3G or wifi) so if you have limited txt use them with people that don't have it.