Texting/iMessage on an iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stanw, Sep 12, 2015.

1. stanw macrumors 6502a

I'm switching from android

1. What happens if I try to send an iMessage to a non iPhone user? Does it send as a text?
    2. Same question, but from a Mac or iPad? What happens?

Thanks.

2. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

1. Yes (unless they have another apple device with iMessage enabled)
    2. you can only iMessage from a Mac or iPad. If you try to send it to someone who doesn't have iMessage, you will get an error message.

3. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

Actually if you have an iPhone you can send and receive text messages and phone calls from your Mac and (I Think) iPad if they're on the same network. I find it way, way easier to type on a real keyboard than an iPhone keyboard.

4. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

So do I use iMessages to view all of my text messages? Do I need a separate app for text messages from non iPhone users?

Can I also view all of my text messages in messages on my Mac or iPad?

Thanks.

5. Gin Gin macrumors regular

Gin Gin

No you only need the Messages app. The phone app switches seamlessly between iMessage & text depending on what the other person has.

6. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

You use the same app on an iPhone for SMS or iMessage. The only difference is the delivery protocol and the app knows which one to use. Your carrier if SMS and Apple if iMessage.

The app will show you when you start your message if it's SMS or iMessage by indicating in the message field whethere it's a "Message" (SMS) or "iMessage" (iMessage).

I'm on iMessage, I carry on complete conversations with other people that do not have iMessage all the time on my phone. The same with those on iMessage.

On your Mac or iPad though you can only converse with those using iMessage. All devices that are using the same Apple ID will reflect the entirety of the conversation no matter what device last sent the message.

For instance, if I send an iMessage on my iPhone and then go to Messages on my Mac I will see the iMessage I just sent on my iPhone. Any response will be delivered both to my Mac and my iPhone.

8. stanw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are messages in iMessages whether text or messages retrievable if you accidentally delete them? Assuming you don't have a time machine backup on your Mac.

Thanks.

9. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

That's not correct. Macs have been able to send and receive text messages and make phone calls since Yosemite and iOS 8

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender 2.jpg

10. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

So you're saying you can message people who are not using iMessage with your Mac? And they will receive the message?

11. sterl320 macrumors 6502

for number 2, you can actually send text messages from your mac, as well as make & take phone calls.

12. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yes, your Mac uses the iPhone to send the text message.

13. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Have to try that some time then. My boss has an Android phone and the Intel Mac at work has the Messages app. Be interesting to see what the final result is then. Can my boss text me back to Mac just via SMS then?

14. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

Yep. And it works seamlessly.

IMO, iMessage is the best thing Apple did in recent years. It works the way you expect and since Yosemite and iOS 8, the mac can both receive and send text messages using your iPhone as the relay.

15. mikzn, Sep 12, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2015

mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

As far as I know if you delete a message on your phone it is gone, but if you have other devices connected such as your mac and iPad it does not delete the message on the other devices.

I text a friend who has android phone and I use the mac to answer often rather than the phone.

If you have a mac you can set up the messages to save as a file.

16. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Well, it appears I have been schooled on iMessage and a Mac today. That's a good thing, because I've learned something. I just don't have a Mac (of my own) that can use Messages so it's never been something I've worked with very much.

Thanks guys!

17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

It only works with iPhones. Apple is not in the business of making Android phones useful.

18. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Wait a second then.

So you are saying that my previous post where it only works with those using iMessage is correct?

Or is it a matter of you could text someone from your Mac that was using a Mac themselves but not iMessage?

19. protobiont macrumors 6502a

No he's obfuscating the issue or didn't understand your question. If you have text message forwarding set up ( which requires that you have an iPhone), your Mac can exchange sms with anyone.

20. mikzn, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015

mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

Going back to question from OP

1 Yes - it will change to SMS text message (for non iPhone) - advantage with imessage to iphones is that it is free - SMS messages show up as green on the phone screen and imessage as blue

2 Yes - mac and iPad will work with iPhone as part of "handoff" - needs to be configured on all devices and then SMS will show in MAC and iPad as "green" text messages indicating SMS

Note: if your phone is out of range of wifi or phone is "turned off" the mac and ipad SMS will not be able to connect.

Also if you had an AOL account or AIM account you can add that to iMessages and your AIM info will update and you should be able to SMS from that account ( not sure this works after the yosemite up date).