Texting on iPad

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by cool-username, Jun 3, 2014.

1. cool-username macrumors newbie

2. ben123456 macrumors regular

Is it working for any of you? I can recieved them just not send any

3. SamGabbay macrumors 6502a

SamGabbay

Same here.

4. Tinototem macrumors member

Works totally fine for me, did not even have to set anything up. Its like magic :)

5. eldervovichka macrumors regular

Same here, please let us know if you figure out a fix. Thanks!

Jeff

6. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

Just noticed the same as well. can receive but not send. It tries to use iMessage and fails

7. txmade macrumors member

Does the ipad and phone have to be ios 8 for this to work?

8. swordfish5736 macrumors 68000

swordfish5736

Have you tried erasing the conversafion and starting a new one from the iPad?
    Yes both your iPhone and iPad need iOS 8

9. eldervovichka macrumors regular

10. Purex macrumors member

It seems it doesn´t. This Guy received an SMS in his iOS 7 iPhone and iOS 8 iPad

in totally diferent locations / networks :)

http://cocatech.com.br/ios-8-sms-em-todos-os-dispositivos-e-via-internet

( Translation from Portuguese needed )

11. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

OK, so I have no idea how SMS on the iPad works, but it does seem to work without bluetooth or wifi. Just for fun I disabled both bluetooth and wifi on my ipad (I have a cellular iPad, so it still had a data connection that way) and I sent myself a text using google voice. The text appeared on both my iPhone and my iPad and I could reply to it from my iPad and get it on google voice. Both my iPad and iPhone are running iOS 8.

This is definitely a seriously cool feature.

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

13. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

14. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

15. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I cannot seem to get this to work either. Both iPhone and iPad on the same wifi, sitting right next to each other, and on iOS 8. I open messages on the iPad and attempt to text a non-iPhone user. It attempts to use iMessage and then fails.

16. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

If you're using an existing conversation try closing it and starting a new one with that person.

But yeah, I found it a bit temperamental, occasionally it just tries to send as iMessage

17. zampe macrumors newbie

Restoring my iPhone as a new device (not from a backup) has seemed to fix the issues of being able to receive but not send from MBP and iPad. I can now send and receive sms from all of them.

18. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Yeah it was a brand new conversation. I never had an existing conversation because my iPad could never send SMS before.

19. spencers macrumors 68020

spencers

+1
    Deleting the conversation on the iPad did not work.

20. SanjeevRana macrumors 6502a

SanjeevRana

As long as devices are on ios 8, sms continuity is working for me even if devices are on different network :eek:

I think it's linked via iCloud and not locally

21. liquidsuns macrumors 6502

Yep. Today I left the iPad at home and got a bunch of sms while I was gone and they were all synced up with my ipad when I got back. I was wondering if it would work like that or if the ipad would just have snippets of sms threads. Super stoked it works the way it does.

22. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

I thought it was all done via Bluetooth LE?

23. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Apparently not. If you see my post above, I tested this by disabling bluetooth and wifi on my ipad (it's a cellular iPad, so it still had a network connection) and I sent some test messages. They still came through to the ipad despite bluetooth being disabled and the phone and ipad being on different wifi networks.

24. Stuke00 macrumors 68000

Oh wow interesting. Sorry its impossible to keep up with every post on this forum :)

25. BrettDS macrumors 6502a

Yeah, very interesting. I have no idea how they are doing, but whatever it is, I definitely like it.

From my initial experiments it looks like calling over the iPad may work this way as well... I was able to initiate a call from the ipad even while bluetooth and wifi were disabled on the ipad, however, I didn't get any audio, so I'm not sure if it needs bluetooth for audio or what. However, that said, I've had very bad luck trying to get calling from the ipad to work at all. Even with bluetooth and wifi enabled it calls will only connect in maybe 1 out of 5 attempts... and the ones that do connect have garbled and unusable audio.

I'm excited to try this in beta 2 and see how that works. (Although, frankly, I'm only seeing very limited usefulness for making calls from the ipad... particularly if it does require bluetooth so the phone needs to be nearby. At that point you might as well just pick up the phone). If it works through the internet or icloud somehow and the phone can be miles away, then that could be interesting.