Texting on iphones?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by vjfaris, Dec 16, 2008.

1. vjfaris macrumors newbie

I'm looking at getting an iphone but I've heard they're really hard to text on (and when I had a play with one today, I must admit I kept hitting the wrong keys).

Does it get any easier to text or is it always going to be slower than on a normal phone?

How does the predictive text messaging work? The phone I was playing with today gave suggestions only when I spelt the word wrong - surely there is a way of getting it to suggest words before you get to the end of typing that word out in full?

They look like amazing phones but I'm only going to get one if I get get the texting sorted.

Cheers.

2. duffer macrumors regular

Hard? No. Different? Yes.

You get used to it rather quickly.

There is no predictive text, only auto-correct.

3. Acronym macrumors 68000

I haveyo agree with the above poster it is not so much hard as it is different once you learn to use qwerty it can be rather simple typing with your thumbs.

That message took less then 25 seconds to type out on my iPhone.

I strongly recommend getting an iPhone way more to it then a reguslr flip phone.

4. bunit macrumors regular

bunit

The phone gets real easy to text with. You learn to use the keyboard very quickly. This phone is amazing. There are so many other things this phone can do that makes the iphone the best out there.:apple:

5. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

just like everyone else has said, it is really easy once you get used to it. Get an iPhone, if you dont like it you have 14 days to return it, but I bet you 100 bucks you will love it!

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I prefer typing on the iPhone more than any other phone. You get used to it extremely fast.

7. jdzialak macrumors regular

I went from a BB Curve to an iPhone and was worried about this, as well.
    It's all good!
    The auto-correct is 99% right when I mistype, and the little spotlight-magnify thing is great for going back and correcting.
    It took me all of 2 days to get used to it.

Joe

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It is way easy and fast to type on an iphone. I type a lot faster than I have on any other phones I have used. And as long as you are typing in english the auto correct feature will save you 90 percent of the time. :D

9. vjfaris thread starter macrumors newbie

Cheers

Thanks everyone - that looks like an overwhelmingly strong 'yes' for texting being ok!

10. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i agree

i will say i can no longer text without actually looking at the phone anymore lol

11. duffer macrumors regular

That's a trick I have yet to master myself :)

12. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Was this supposed to be sarcastic? :confused: If so, I like it. :D

13. deadsouls macrumors regular

umm you're on a mac/iphone forum. DUH.

14. vjfaris thread starter macrumors newbie

Ouch! No need to get nasty - there are a lot of postings with things people don't like about iphones on this forum too. :eek:

15. friekunater macrumors 6502

well this is a forum of basically all iPhone owners, but so what? the OP is about to become an iPhone owner so he should hear what people like him think about it, hear what people who use the phone on a regular basis think about it.

what would be the point in going to the crackberry forums and asking this? of course they would trash it, they don't use it enough and they don't own it, don't you think you'd be asking the wrong people?

16. msiler macrumors newbie

I disagree. With mid to large fingers i still find the keyboard difficult to use (after 30 days of light sms use) without a lot of mistakes and the resultant corrections when using the keyboard in standard format. I am MUCH better with te keyboard in landscape mode but have yet to jailbrake my phone so there are no Native Apps that I know of that allow Landscape txting...

17. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Texting on the iPhone is definitely different from using other phones.
    I must say that I had a hard time using the iPhone for sending SMS, until Apple enabled the auto-correction to be switched off.
    What's missing now is lanscape keypad for SMS & e-mail w/o jailbreaking the phone. (For e-mails, you can get EasyWriter as a workaround app)

18. izzle22 macrumors 6502a

izzle22

No problems here. I like texting on the iPhone better than any othe phone I've had.

19. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

I also like the texting and keyboard much more than on my previous phones (razr, nokia, etc).

20. blumoon macrumors member

I understand your concern but after a day or two, it's just as easy as any other phone. I actually like texting with the iPhone and text much more than I used to with my LG.

21. forwarddrew macrumors newbie

texting on an iphone is incredibly easy to get used to and the predictive text is a blessing.

22. Acronym macrumors 68000

well... no it actualy probably took less then 25 seconds but as you can clearly see in my post the spelling errors are abundant.

but in general it is quite easy to type on the iphone and if yo ucan get into a groove then you can type fairly fast.