Texting questions on 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MacFan782040, Jul 5, 2009.

1. MacFan782040 macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

I have some questions about text messaging on the 3.0 OS (or 3.1)

First, will MMS (meaning both photos and videos) work when sending it to a different network? Like if my friend has a Verizon phone, will he/she be able to receive them, and vise versa (send them to me) too?

I'm wondering about photo sizes and/or video size and length because usually this is limited or the quality is downgraded in order to to be sent. I don't see a way or method yet on the iPhone to do this.

Second, I'm wondering about this whole 160-character limit on text messages. I have Verizon now, and sometimes I'll create a long (several hundred characters or so) normal text message and send it to another Verizon phone, no problem. They receive it in one large text. Great.

The problem comes in when I'm trying to send a 160+ text to an ATT phone, which I get an auto-reply back that says "non-Verizon phones only received for first 160 characters". Very frustrating.

Anyway, here's my question. I already know sending Verizon to ATT will cause this. Howabout ATT to Verizon? I think what happens is it will break it up into multiple texts for the Verizon receiver. Correct?

OK. So if it breaks it up, that's not as big of a deal as somebody sending me a longer text and I only get the first 160. Will this change because of MMS? I ask because when I send a photo message on my Verizon phone, I have up to 1000 characters to send a message. Perhaps MMS will increase the character limit?

I know I can bypass this (sort-of) with sending it to the phone's email address...but it would come to my email and not a text like I would like. Plus, this doesn't help unless the person on the other end knows to send it to your email. Ughhh...

And finally, whatabout ATT to ATT texting? Does this limit the characters too?

Thank you for any responses. :)

2. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Ok, about the MMS from other carriers, when i tried sending a video from sprint to me, it said that my carrier couldn't get videos of the size. (the video was like 3 seconds long) But when I send a video from a verison phone to my phone, I get it without a problem. So i'm not really sure why it does that.

I have MMS working on my phone btw.

3. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Thanks for the reply. And I'm assuming you can send a video (or photo) also TO the verizon phone? How would that work if you took say, a 60 second video. Do you need to trim it to 15 seconds or something in order for the verizon phone not to freak out?

4. peteryan7hao macrumors regular

peteryan7hao

You send a video via email not MMS

5. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

But isn't that the point of MMS? Or is MMS strictly for photos? The other reply above me says he successfully sent a video...

6. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Sorry that I wasn't clear. I'm on an iPhone 3G. I sent a video from the verison phone to my phone. The verison video was a good amount of length. About 20 seconds or so. I'm not sure about sending videos out since I don't have video recording. But i'm guessing that the 3GS's videos would have to be trimed since they are of higher quality I guess, but I'm not really sure.

7. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

My friend has Verizon, I have AT&T, and if she sends me a message over 160 characters I receive it in multiple messages. Like, if it's 185 characters, the text will come as one 160 character text, and one 25 character text.

AT&T to Verzion does the same thing, AT&T to AT&T does the same thing. All text messages, every carrier, are limited to 160 characters, and any message longer than that will be broken up and sent as multiple messages. I have never heard of this "only receiving first 160 characters" thing.

8. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

iPhones to iPhones send it in one big text.

9. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

Really? I think it appears as multiple messages. I know if I send one huge text it will show up as one huge text on MY phone, but on the receivers phone it will be two texts because the network sends it as two texts, since it breaks up the characters after 160?

I could be wrong though, I've never paid much attention to iPhone to iPhone texting haha.

10. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Yea I just sent myself a really long text using copy paste and it was sent in one big text and received it's as one big text.

11. Axl Rose macrumors regular

i believe some phones combine the texts on the receiving end

12. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

13. jkimbro0316 macrumors regular

I believe that text messages are combined when it's iPhone to iPhone messaging as well because whenever my brother would send me a long text message, it would appear as one message. I've never had a text message from my brother that's been cut off due to the 160 character limit.

14. komiothebeat macrumors 6502

komiothebeat

ok when sending iphone to iphone, you can send as many characters as you want, i've written novels to my boyfriend via text message and it's NEVER cut it off, BUT when sending anything over 160 characters to other phones they only get the first 160 characters, sometimes they will split into multiple messages iguess this depends on the phone//service..

now sending video from the iphone : i've only tested this to and from verizon and to and from at&t and they work fine for a video thats only about 12 seconds long so :p

15. MacFan782040 thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacFan782040

Hmm..

Thanks for the replies. This could get interesting when MMS comes out because I don't know how it's gonna work with videos and photos regarding the length and quality.

I guess the 160 character thing does depend on the service/phone. Like I said, my ex-gf and I have sent huge texts to each other back and forth (verizon to verizon) and it has come up in one huge text. However, when sending to a non-verizon phone, I get an auto-text back that says "only the first 160 characters were sent".

Good to know you can send a large text from the iPhone and it will break it up, because there is no character counter.

16. ajnittoli macrumors member

yeah whenever i send long iphonen texts it splits it up im loving the texting in 3.0!!!!