Texting. Speech to text question

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by JS3, Oct 13, 2011.

1. JS3 macrumors regular

I might be mistaken but I thought there was suppose to be a mic button in texting where you could hit it and talk and it would transfer talk to text. I think there are apps that do this but I thought it was going to be built in.

2. jordanogrady macrumors 6502

Do you have an iphone 4S?

3. mluman83 macrumors member

mluman83

I believe this is only by using Siri, which is only available on the 4S.

4. DoodleD macrumors newbie

So the 200+ improvements we've been reading about iOS 5 over the last few months were only for the 4s? That sucks! This is definitely a feature that I was looking forward to. I was kind of hoping it was hidden somewhere in the settings or someone here in the forums would have revealed it on the 4. I guess Apple wants all us 4 users to upgrade.

5. JS3 thread starter macrumors regular

I agree. Wasn't looking for anything as special as the siri feature just wanted to be able to hit the mic and say what ever and then text it.lol.

6. DerekTS macrumors regular

No. The 200+ improvements to iOS 5 will be on any iPhone/iPad/Ipod touch. You have clearly been confusing the 200+ improvements with iphone 4S features.

7. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

You still get the 200+ improvements when you install iOS5. Dictation just happens not to be one of them.

8. CrAkD macrumors 68040

CrAkD

I think siri and dictation are the only 4s exclusive software features. so there are still 200 improvements.