Texting to other providers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nebulosity, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Nebulosity macrumors newbie

Hello,

I am new here and plan on switching from Verizon to AT&T and getting an iPhone. Just about all of my friends are on Verizon however, and I'm wondering if there are additional charges when texting to different providers? I plan on getting either 1500 or unlimited text packages. Thanks for any help that can be provided.

I've looked thru the AT&T terms and conditions, I do not see anything regarding this but I wanted to make sure before I switched.

2. muledogus macrumors 6502

You can text anyone as long as you have the texting plan.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Heck, you don't even need a texting plan to text anyone. It'll just cost you extra ;)

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You can text to anyone on any network, however, it goes against the number of texts that you are alloted.

5. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

You can text anyone, on any network, as long as you have a fixed plan. Keep in mind though that all texts have a 160 character limit. The iPhone won't tell you the amount of characters and it will lump them all into 1 bubble. Don't be fooled and think you are sending 1 text. Internally it is seperating them and they are being deducted from your tecting plan.

The thing you need to understand though, and I'm sure you do already, but if not, is that since you are AT&T, you do not get free minutes with other carriers. Only on AT&T. Which isn't so bad, but just keep that in mind that it uses your minutes when you call your friends on other carriers.

6. Nebulosity thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the info and help everyone, I needed it!

Cant wait to switch now!!