Texting with computer? Possible or not

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by armenakadino, Jan 14, 2009.

1. armenakadino macrumors member

I want to have my iphone docked on my desk and get a text but instead of responding by taking the iphone off the dock use my computer to respond. Is there a program where I can send and receive texts using my comp but it get sent through my phone with bluetooth.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

With the iPhone, there isn't one, at least without jailbreaking. There are some programs that do it for other phones. You can also text via iChat, AIM, Adium, or any other program that uses the AIM network, if you live in the US or Canada.

3. ghking macrumors regular

ghking

right. to text over IM add to your buddy list this formula:

+1areacodenumber

like this

+16035552054

then just use it like IM and the other person will be able to send and recieve the texts.

4. armenakadino thread starter macrumors member

Is there a way where it would be sent through my phone so it shows my phonw number and not some random number

5. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Like stated before NOT without jailbreaking.

Veency is what you need if you jailbreak. :D

6. Tosser macrumors 68030

It used to be possible to send and receive text messages through Address Book when your phone was connected by bluetooth. However, Apple removed that possibility with Leopard. So, unless you run tiger, I really don't know which app would give you the same functionality (i.e. basically using the computer as the interface, but the phone to send and receive the actual SMS's, like normally).

Nvm. I just realised it wasn't any phone – it was the iPhone. Yes, you'll have to jailbreak.