Textmate alternatives

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by skyton, Sep 15, 2011.

1. skyton macrumors 6502

I have used Textmate for coding for a few years, but am currently looking around at alternatives.

I was wondering what other people are using?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Textwrangler is probably the cheapest alternative. Many people swear by that text editor

3. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Textmate > Textwrangler IMO

I went with Coda for now but still grab SubEthaEdit every now and then.

4. skyton thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies!
    Any users of Sublime out there?

5. rhp2424 macrumors regular

rhp2424

I had to get Oxygen a couple years ago for school and I've been using it since. I've been very pleased with its results. For what it's worth, it has a nice Dropbox integration as well.

6. skyton thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks - hadn't heard of that one, will check it out

7. blipmusic macrumors regular

Although I wouldn't be much use in a nitty and gritty comparison since have mainly used TextMate for latex, Sublime Text 2 seems to be somewhat of a spiritual successor (since TM2 is in limbo).

8. skyton thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I was wondering

I wish TM2 would hurry up and come out - would solve my problem I think :)

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I wouldn't hold your breath on seeing an upgrade on Textmate, that's more vaporware then anything at this point. How many years has it been promised for?

10. blipmusic macrumors regular

Whoops, sorry. Blurry evening eyes. :p

I actually caved in and bought a ST2 license but as I said I probably wouldn't be of much help with the details. Currently it'll only be for latex and a bit of html.

So far I can at least say that it handles Japanese (TM didn't in any meaningful sense) and seems plenty fast compared to TM even with large files. Multi selection is great as well.

Try the package control plug-in to discover new packages easily. Check here for a few other tidbits as well.

Peraps try the latest beta or dev build. They both seem to be full versions and nag windows are at a minimum.

11. skyton thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info - sounds interesting
    Guess i will end up road testing a few and see what I like

----------

True, true
    But you never know!

12. gibbz macrumors 68030

I've been very happy with Coda. There are a lot of limitations, but it does most of what I need.

13. skyton thread starter macrumors 6502

Coda is one I have been looking at - was wondering what limitations you found?

14. skyton thread starter macrumors 6502

15. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

BBEdit (or its free alternative TextWrangler) and MacVim (free) are my two main text editors. While vim has a large learning curve, it's very powerful and light and well worth the time to learn. I like BBEdit because of its extendability. I've made a number of scripts that can be used with it and help me code a lot faster.

16. Commonmind macrumors member

Textmate is surprisingly robust once you begin creating your own themes and snippets. If you've been using Texmate for a few years already, this is likely something you already know. What is TM lacking that you would like to find in another editor? Or is this a case of app boredom (I can understand that, I've been there myself)?

For my workflow -- and I've tried Espresso/CSSEdit, Coda, BBedit and Dreamweaver -- TM coupled with Cyberduck has always fulfilled my needs. Add to that the Zencoding, mHTML and mCSS packages, and you have yourself a recipe for semantic efficiency.

17. john1620b macrumors member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Komodo Edit. For a free code editor, it's pretty robust. Even when I try other editors I keep coming back to it.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use BBedit, I also have ultra edit which was a PC only text editor and I use that exclusively at work. I had hoped a lot of the usefulness of the PC version would be in the OSX version but not so much. I like BBedit but its a bit bloated. I haven't retested textwranger to see if its a little more lightweight.

I've called text mate vaporware but that doesn't mean I don't like it, in fact if they ever came out with version 2, I'd probably buy it. Its a great mixture of performance, lightweight but powerful.

19. skyton thread starter macrumors 6502

20. blipmusic macrumors regular

:eek:

This is up there with faster-than-light neutrinos.

Oh well, I'll probably get TM2 regardless of when it arrives or whatever I happen to use at the time of its release. For now I'm very happy with ST2 (well its beta, technically).

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That indeed is some good news but I'm a bit cynical mostly because we've been promised an upgrade since apple published 10.4 which was what 2006. They've been developing version 2 for nearly 6 years :eek: Even Microsoft took less time to produce Vista

22. skyton thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, although I still feel a little suspicious. Its been coming for so long I wouldn't be surprised if there were more delays

23. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

Another vote for Komodo Edit. I highly recommend giving this one at least a shot.

I use TextWrangler some as well, but just the other day had some weird issues with special characters. May have been user error though. PHP is usually sensitive but this was SQL, so IDK.

I will end up trying out BBEdit I'm sure, and I have wanted Coda for while, but it's a little steep for my budget at the moment.