TextMate: Find Currently Selected?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Mac In School, Jun 16, 2008.

1. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Question for all y'all that use TextMate. I know there are a lot of ya out there.

In other text editors I've worked in, when you select a block of text and launch the find/replace dialog, it automatically gets populated with said selected text.

Is it possible to have TextMate behave this way?

Thanks.

2. dtyson macrumors member

I'm not a TextMate expert (I'd switch to it in a second if they had a more robust find/replace feature - I'm so used to BBEdit's find/replace, which I think is one of the best out there) BUT... What I do know is that, although it's rather awkward:

COMMAND + E will put any text you select into the find/replace box. You still need to type COMMAND + F in order to get the box but it will be populated no less.

I try very hard to like TextMate. I LOVE some of its features but I just can't get over the poorly implemented find/replace - or at least it's poorly implemented in my opinion. Of course, now that I think about it, that procedure is exactly the same in BBEdit. COMMAND + E puts the selected text into the find/replace box, which one can see after then typing COMMAND + F.

Hope that helps.

3. Mac In School thread starter macrumors 65816

4. operator207 macrumors 6502

In Safari, if you hit cmd + E then hit cmd + F, it will do the same thing.

Same in terminal, I believe this would be more of a system thing than a BBEdit or Textmate thing.

5. dtyson macrumors member

Cool. I didn't realize that it was system-wide. Thanks for the info!

6. operator207 macrumors 6502

Neither did I till I saw this thread. I am glad it was brought up, yet another time saver!