Textnow+ Device Conflict

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by smitty303, Dec 15, 2012.

1. smitty303 macrumors member

I've run across a problem with the Textnow+ app that I haven't been able to find in my searches for a similar issue.

Don't get me wrong, the app works great for texting and phone calls. The issue I'm having is that after upgrading my wife's iPhone, and attempting to use her old iPhone for myself there is a conflict between our textnow apps. WE are both textnow users, with separate accounts. We also have separate AppleIDs for our iTunes accounts. However, now when attempting to set up her old iPhone for myself, when I download the textnow app, it automatically logs me in as her! I can see all her texts. Luckily I'm her husband and not some stranger I sold the iPhone to. So, I thought, well I'll just log out and log in as myself. That causes the textnow app on her new phone to change to me! And vice versa when she logs out as me and logs back in to her account. At first I couldn't understand what was going on. You can imagine it was frustrating having my app randomly (it seemed) switch itself over to my wifes account. I finally figured it out when I logged in as myself and she came in from the other room asking why her app had switched to me.

Anyway, I have an email into Enflick to call this to their attention, and I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue.

Oh, also, it seems to be tied to UDID since the common device here between us is the old iPhone4. I can log into my textnow account on my iPad (which has only ever seen my AppleID and iTunes account) and it doesn't mess with her app on her new phone.

It seems textnow is keeping track of multiple UDIDs on each account, and pushing each UDID with whatever last login is detected in the app. Weird!

This smells of the iMessage bug that went around earlier.:( I'm not sure I want to use textnow anymore if it is not secure. What if I sold my old phone to someone else?:eek:

2. smitty303 thread starter macrumors member

Enflick sent me the following response for my textnow issue.

We are looking into a better way to handle iTunes restore situations like the one you've described in the future. For the time being, to resolve the situation on your devices, please do the following (on both devices):
    - Sign-out of TextNow.
    - Delete the app.
    - Install TextNow from the App Store (not via iTunes back-up).
    - Sign-in to your individual accounts.

Thank you.

It worked! Just passing this along.

Lesson may be to always log out of apps and delete them prior to wiping and selling to someone.