Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbm248

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Woops, badge updates ARE working for me.

I'm beta testing another app, and that one has not been updating the badge. Got it mixed up.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I'm not jailbroken or anything. I'm guessing maybe I should re-download the app? Although I don't want to pay the $2.99 again.

tbm248

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
I'm not jailbroken or anything. I'm guessing maybe I should re-download the app? Although I don't want to pay the $2.99 again.

I don't think I've ever done this with a paid app, but, if you already purchased the app, I think you can delete and reinstall on your phone without having to pay again.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I know you can obviously do it with the free apps, since I have done that before. Can anyone else verify that if I delete and download the app again, I will NOT have to pay?

fredf

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2008
? texting from overseas?

Derek13:

Can anyone (Derek) confirm that this can text from overseas for 'free'.
I am going to Italy and would love to text back home. I will have Roaming off (in Settings) to make sure I don't incur any unwanted charges but would like to be able to text back home without pay Rogers the $0.75 per text.

Can I just just text for free when I get a Wifi signal?
Regular texting uses Voice Roaming and so is billed separately. How would unlimited SMS work in this situation? I guess it would use data Roaming and so I couldn't do it with Roaming off? So I would be confined to Wifi if I don't want to pay?

thanks

p.s.: has this issue on Rogers been fixed yet or dealt with in another manner that doesn't require a 'read' reply?

"As for the Rogers issue you mentioned; yes, the recipient would have to reply with "Read" in order to view the message. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about that because it is the way Rogers decided to implement their network. However, this problem only applies to Rogers and it doesn't apply to the other Canadian carriers (ie. Bell)."

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Derek13:

Can anyone (Derek) confirm that this can text from overseas for 'free'.
I am going to Italy and would love to text back home. I will have Roaming off (in Settings) to make sure I don't incur any unwanted charges but would like to be able to text back home without pay Rogers the $0.75 per text.

Can I just just text for free when I get a Wifi signal?
Regular texting uses Voice Roaming and so is billed separately. How would unlimited SMS work in this situation? I guess it would use data Roaming and so I couldn't do it with Roaming off? So I would be confined to Wifi if I don't want to pay?

thanks

p.s.: has this issue on Rogers been fixed yet or dealt with in another manner that doesn't require a 'read' reply?

"As for the Rogers issue you mentioned; yes, the recipient would have to reply with "Read" in order to view the message. Unfortunately, there is nothing we can do about that because it is the way Rogers decided to implement their network. However, this problem only applies to Rogers and it doesn't apply to the other Canadian carriers (ie. Bell)."

Texting from overseas will be free if you have access to a Wifi signal.

As for recipient who use Rogers as their carrier, recipient will have to reply with "Read" to see the message. We have not found a solution around this yet.

tbm248

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Hi Derek.

Just wondering if the display name and email address setup for when others receive text has been changed?

Just thought I would ask. :)

Angela97

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
iPod touch work too?

I have a iPod touch and I just downloaded this, if the other person I text to dosent have this app or is a normal phone, where does their reply go to?

Angela97

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
I have a iPod touch and I just downloaded this, if the other person I text to dosent have this app or is a normal phone, where does their reply go to?

Oh and the person I texted to has a iPhone without this app.

Angela97

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
But if they text back where can I see their text? iPod dosent have the native texting thing..

tbm248

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Oh and the person I texted to has a iPhone without this app.

Yeah, when you are sending a text from this app to another phone (whether the other person has an iphone or not), they will receive your message as a regular text.

If the other person does happen to have the app, then you can direct your text message to their @myusms.net address, and also text back and forth that way.

But if they text back where can I see their text? iPod dosent have the native texting thing..

When they text back, assuming you have push notifications available on your iPod, you will be notified via a push notification that you have a text. On your main screen, you will see a little message that has the other persons name, and a blurb of their message. To view the message, you just go to the USMS app, open it up, and you will see all your texts. There should also be badge updates on your USMS to indicate how many new texts you have in case you forgot about the push notification or something.

Also, if the other person wants to initiate texting with you, meaning, they want to send you a text FIRST, they would need to enter your specific @myusms.net address (you get to choose an address) for where to send their text message. They could of course go through their texts and find an old one from you and reply to it to start a new conversation.

Hope that helps!

Angela97

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2009
.myusms adress? I can't seem to make one, in thr options it says- name and the next one is usms-usms on or off. Where can you make a adress?

tbm248

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2009
Do you have version 3.1 ?

Derek (the developer), submitted 3.1 to the app store on 8/28 --

derek13 said:
Update, 08/28/2009:
U SMS version 3.1 has been submitted to the app store.
This version includes the ability to pick your own username@myusms.net address and also displays the contact name in push notifications.

I've been beta testing 3.1 so I'm not sure if it actually has been approved and available for update in the app store for everyone else. If it's not out yet, I'm guessing it will be shortly.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
There should also be badge updates on your USMS to indicate how many new texts you have in case you forgot about the push notification or something.

This seems to be an issue between my gf and I who both use this app. We both re-downloaded the app, and we still don't get badge notifications when we slide to unlock our phone and are looking at the home screen. Now the weird thing is that if I receive two text msgs from my gf, a badge alert will appear but only with a "1" in the corner (even though I have 2 unread texts). I'm hoping that maybe an update would fix this.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
This seems to be an issue between my gf and I who both use this app. We both re-downloaded the app, and we still don't get badge notifications when we slide to unlock our phone and are looking at the home screen. Now the weird thing is that if I receive two text msgs from my gf, a badge alert will appear but only with a "1" in the corner (even though I have 2 unread texts). I'm hoping that maybe an update would fix this.

We will look into the badge issue. The icon should show a badge of messages not yet downloaded.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Update, 09/11/2009:
Apple rejected our 3.1 submission. However, we have fixed what they wanted us to fix and resubmitted 3.1 with another feature:
Ability to personalize the app
personalize.png

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008
Update, 09/11/2009:
Apple rejected our 3.1 submission. However, we have fixed what they wanted us to fix and resubmitted 3.1 with another feature:
Ability to personalize the app
personalize.png

Looking forward to personalizing, I like the last one best! Are you allowed to go into why the rejected the app?

IronLogik

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009
damn. i was hoping that it would be released soon. Now we're onto another 2 week wait huh?

Overall the app seems fine. It does however need some serious polish. I've yet to come across a text messaging application as polished as Apple's own.

For the To: field on composing a new message. Remove the (x) to remove the contact. It looks out of place and is pointless next to the + button.

Larger font size for your message when you're typing it.

The Send button looks funny where it is. I'd suggest an X to close the current message you're typing in on the right, emoticons icon on the left, and the send button in the center

sendwindow.jpg

Something like that. Make the button longer so it is proportional with the size of the box and centered. Not big enough that it's going to cause people to accidentally hit it, but bigger than it currently is.

Next, there's a bug on the keyboard. I can reproduce it every time when i do this.

1. Create a new message
2. Click the To: field, Type in part of someone's name so your selection box pops up below to select someone from a partial name.
3. Then rotate the iphone/ipodtouch in the opposite orientation, then switch back to the normal orientation, and back again. You'll notice the keyboard is all messed up and is in both orientations. I can screen shot it if you'd like.

I'll admit i discovered it by accident in the middle of typing a message and had to pause a few times to grab something, the result was the view rotating several times and caused this.

I'll agree you need to work out a better way to display the name/address stuff so people can more easily see who the message is from.

Option to turn off the icons for a person. Most of mine don't have icons so it's just a large box. I assume it looks pretty good if everyone has an icon, mine however don't, and I'd guess not everyone has icons on theirs either. An option to disable this would be rockin.

All i've got for now. If you want mock up's or screen shots let me know and i'll see what i can do.

Edit: added a mockup since the ascii text version was fail. Hope that gives a better idea. It's rough but should help visualize it.

Bigger font, bigger margin around the edges. Just looks more polished that way. (By all means my mockup is not intended to be "polished" it took me 3 minutes to make lol)

Also, show me how many characters I have remaining.

derek13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
Waterloo, Ontario
Looking forward to personalizing, I like the last one best! Are you allowed to go into why the rejected the app?

Apple rejected the app because the app still showed "Updating..." as it tries to connect to the server when the device is offline from the internet. It was a simple fix, but it is a pity that the app has to go through the same process again after resubmission.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.