Texts to others in 2 different windows?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Laryl, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Laryl macrumors 6502a

Laryl

Another weirdness to figure out. Series 3 and iPhone X. People are telling me when I send text messages, and these are all iPhone users, my messages from the phone and from the watch do not come in on the same window.. it’s like there are two of me.
    Anyone know why? Do I have a setting wrong? It’s just since the X.

2. BA2020 macrumors member

BA2020

Question is, is there only one conversation listed on your phones iMessage app and AW? If there’re also separated on your side, then you iMessaged people using different contacts (eg email and phone number)

3. Laryl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Laryl

On both my phone and aw the messages are all in one conversation, so good thinking but it’s not that. I wouldn’t have known it was happening if I didn’t ask.

4. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

I was having this problem last week. Different set of circumstances, but same result. Turns out my watch was sending from my AppleID and my iPhone was using my phone number. Each created its own thread on the recipients phone.

On my iPhone, I went to Settings - Messages - Send & Receive from.

I unselected all of the email address under the top category "You can be reached by iMessage at".

Upon unselecting the emails, the second category "start a new conversation from" removed all the email addresses on its own, slowly. Once all the email addresses had been removed from the second category, I re-selected them in the top category.

I then removed all the message threads on my watch and created a new one to a test subject. It immediately went back to the correct thread (phone number one) and problem was solved.

5. Laryl thread starter macrumors 6502a

Laryl

Thank you. I discovered last night that the send and receive from indeed had both the phone and email listed.
    That’s what bugs be about backups and new phones. Settings that have a mind of their own. But now it’s fixed thanks!
    I tried unpairing my watch, to force it to create a good backup since prior ones didn’t work and I got another error about not unpairing successfully. I had to start all over again, creating my watch faces..argh. Technology has finally left me in the dark. Sad for me, I’ve always felt in control until all this iCloud multiple devices stuff came along. Lol