Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Texture, the digital magazine service that Apple acquired earlier this year, recently dropped its $14.99 Premium price point for existing subscribers.

Texture Premium, which allows for access to both weekly and monthly magazines, is now priced at $9.99 for all customers, new and existing.

texture-ipad-iphone.jpg

The price change was shared in an email from Harry McCracken yesterday, and confirmed today by Texture. Texture is streamlining its pricing plans and opting to sell a single $9.99 plan instead of multiple plans.

Texture, now owned by Apple, just got cheaper. pic.twitter.com/lqEekkuDjU - Harry McCracken (@harrymccracken) July 12, 2018

The price of Texture Premium for new customers was dropped to $9.99 some time ago, while existing customers had still been paying $14.99 per month. With the new pricing update this week, all Texture customers are now paying the lower cost for full access to all Texture content.

Prior to the pricing change for Texture Premium, Texture charged $9.99 per month for access to monthly magazines, and $14.99 per month for access to both weekly and monthly magazines, but now there's just one plan.

For customers who may have been paying less than $9.99 due to previous promotions, pricing has not changed, and they will still get access to Texture at the lower price point.

Texture provides unlimited access to more than 200 digital magazines, including titles like Vogue, Cosmopolitan, GQ, Rolling Stone, National Geographic, People, Wired, and more.

Rumors have suggested that in the future, Texture will be bundled into an Apple subscription news service that will offer digital magazine content.

Article Link: Texture Drops Premium Pricing to $9.99 for Existing Subscribers

gutefahrt

macrumors member
Jun 24, 2004
“— Harry McCracken”

Really? Sure this is legit? I think I saw that name on a sign in sheet for a high school sub.

Defthand

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Honestly, who uses subscription apps?

I do but I'm selective. Owning something is not always the most frugal option. Not all investments are good values. That's why leasing is a popular option for luxury cars. I rent those things which I use daily but have a predictable lifecycle and are expensive to replace or upgrade (Adobe tools). Contrarily, I rent those things which I have only an occasional or one-off need for. I cancel my sub as soon as I'm satisfied and renew it if a need arises (Any entertainment service).

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA

I use Texture because when traveling I end up picking up a magazine or two at the airport which ends up costing $12. No longer doing that and cancelled subscriptions to a couple magazines that are included and I'm definitely not spending more money plus there's the added convenience of having all the content together. The digital magazine experience is often better than print because there is multimedia extensions of stories.

MarcoPohlo

macrumors member
Dec 9, 2015

Who does not? Netflix and Apple Music are the essentials. I don’t see a point in owning music since one album costs the same as monthly subscription. The same goes for movie.

I would gladly use such a service for magazines if it would be available in my country. I have subscribed to multiple magazines for price way over 10 dolars.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Who does not? Netflix and Apple Music are the essentials. I don’t see a point in owning music since one album costs the same as monthly subscription. The same goes for movie.

I would gladly use such a service for magazines if it would be available in my country. I have subscribed to multiple magazines for price way over 10 dolars.

One argument to owning music is when internet connectivity is poor or absent. How does one stream when there is no connection? How do you listen in an aircraft? I do understand that music can be downloaded too, but just giving one argument when internet connectivity is poor or absent.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
One argument to owning music is when internet connectivity is poor or absent. How does one stream when there is no connection? How do you listen in an aircraft? I do understand that music can be downloaded too, but just giving one argument when internet connectivity is poor or absent.

Then that person should do what's best for them and others will do what they feel like doing and is available to their situation.

Reactions: macintoshmac

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
Well you just answered your own question. You can download the music, shows, etc... so that is not an issue to subscribing vs. owning.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

For a lot of apps it is unavoidable. Adobe, the CLZ apps (Movies, Books, etc.), etc.

One argument to owning music is when internet connectivity is poor or absent. How does one stream when there is no connection?

In Texture for each magazine in your Library you have the option of automatically downloading the latest issue. With this feature on, and if you have opened texture before you lose the internet so it can do the downloads, everything is there.

Entertainment weekly, with the music, movie, and tv reviews used to be over $100 a year. People, for those who need a celebrity fix, also was > $100. Texture now gives you 200 magazines at $120 a year, something like 1/2 the cost of what these 2 magazines alone used to cost.

You also get back issues. Entertainment Weekly gives you access to issues dating back to January 2012. Bon Appetit, where older issues might be more useful, goes back to March 2012.

The only wish item I have for texture is if it had a search tool that allowed searching across all magazines and years. Maybe Apple will fix that.

betasp

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2008
I prefer services like Texture because I 'think' it's better for the environment. I never have really referenced back issues on magazines in the past and I found having a lot of bookcases filled with magazines to be a waste of space that at some point will end up in the landfill.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
Well you just answered your own question. You can download the music, shows, etc... so that is not an issue to subscribing vs. owning.

Not quite. Downloading means planning. At airports, connectivity can be poor and, therefore, I might have to do some planning beforehand if I were to use Apple Music solely, whereas, if I own my music, I can at least have something in the library. My point is, to say "who would/ why would anyone anymore" type questions are ill-thought and highly subjective to one's own working conditions. :D

I personally see a lot of value in Apple Music, and use it, because where I stay 99% of my time, I get excellent cellular coverage and have a wired internet connection and therefore have no issues with it. I have suffered with Apple Music at my airports and some other states where I go to. :oops:

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
Not quite. Downloading means planning. At airports, connectivity can be poor and, therefore, I might have to do some planning beforehand if I were to use Apple Music solely, whereas, if I own my music, I can at least have something in the library. My point is, to say "who would/ why would anyone anymore" type questions are ill-thought and highly subjective to one's own working conditions. :D

While I agree that it’s a silly argument in general as everyone has an option that works best for them, but to be fair you can just turn on automatic downloads for Apple Music and everything added to your library will be downloaded in the background up to whatever max storage you select—no planning required. So that particular point is moot.

macintoshmac

Suspended
May 13, 2010
While I agree that it’s a silly argument in general as everyone has an option that works best for them, but to be fair you can just turn on automatic downloads for Apple Music and everything added to your library will be downloaded in the background up to whatever max storage you select—no planning required. So that particular point is moot.

True, only, when I stream, I like to actually stream and not download, saving me space. The way I see it, when I pay for Apple Music, I pay for saving space on my device, having my music streamed, and when I want, I have the option to download (which again would mean a basic anticipation of something). I will be at the airport tomorrow where I might face signal issues? Let's prepare a library today - that is planning.

Case in point, at least in my country, is Metro rail. Often, it is underground, where there is no signal. I do not know how signal works in other areas in the world with rails underground, but in my country, underground = signal loss. So, while on ground, I am happily streaming, the moment rail is underground, I have at max the length of the song. Or am I getting this wrong?

Or, say I am at a Metro station, and feel like playing something, only, since I was not playing until now and the signal is poor, there is nothing I can search to play, or play. Am I getting this wrong?

Also, does Music download songs in the backdrop for playing when you add them to playlist?

I am not very proficient in the Music app ever since the constant redesigns and the addition of streaming into the mix, so this is not a fight to death, this is just me humbly putting my thoughts out and asking. :)

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

I personally see a lot of value in Apple Music, and use it, because where I stay 99% of my time, I get excellent cellular coverage and have a wired internet connection and therefore have no issues with it. I have suffered with Apple Music at my airports and some other states where I go to. :oops:

I had Apple Music in the past, and now Spotify. In both cases there are a lot of Playlists I have downloaded all the time. This really doesn't take a lot of planning unless you are someone that is midway through a 10 hour flight and absolutely have to listen to that song from 10 years back or something. I moved to streaming because my kids always wanted to listen to the latest songs and it was costing a fortune. Now everyone has whatever they want which is way cheaper.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
Downloading means planning.

In Texture settings you setup the magazines you want automaticaly downloaded, and how much space to use for downloads. Just open Texture for a few minutes before you leave. If you use it on a daily basis then you don't have to do even that since your magazines will be already automatically downloaded. Once setup no planning is needed.

macdaddybob

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Texture already has this functionality. Upper right hand corner, Stories & Magazines search box. It’ll search all past issues of every magazine. Very useful when you’re researching reviews.

The only wish item I have for texture is if it had a search tool that allowed searching across all magazines and years. Maybe Apple will fix that.

Last edited:

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015

You're not subscribing to the "app", you're subscribing to access to dozens of magazines which produce new things for you to read every week or every month.
[doublepost=1531808504][/doublepost]
Caching exists. I have about 15GB of music from Spotify available whether or not I'm online. I'm sure Apple Music works the same way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.